Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

i5-6600 speed stuck from 0.76 - 0.79 ghz

HPha
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I'm using an i5-6600 and MSI H170 gaming m3.

Sometimes, my CPU speed got stuck at 0.76 ~ 0.79 GHz. I observed this speed through Windows Task Manager.

It happens randomly, while I'm playing game or even when I've just booted the PC, like this time. The PC is slowed down so much that even surfing the web is difficult.

I've tried to update all the driver, check the temperature, which is normal: around 40 deg with maximum < 70 deg under heavy load. I've even reapplied thermal paste. But it doesn't work.

When this happens, Intel processor identification utility shows the reported speed is 0.79 GHz while the expected speed is 3.30 GHz.

But running Intel processor diagnostic tool shows everything is pass. Even though while the tool is running, I can see the speed doesn't pass the 0.79 GHz threshold.

I'll attach the full log in this post.

The worst thing is that it doesn't fail completely, but comeback to works normally after a while (a few minutes or hours).

By the time I finished this post, CPU speed has come back to normal, Intel processor identification utility is now showing the reported speed at 3.59 Ghz.

Does anyone have any idea on what may go wrong? Is there anything else I can check?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello www_13,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the frequency of your processor.

I noticed that the BIOS version installed is not the latest for your system, so I recommend installing the latest for your system since it might address this behavior, please find it below. I would also like to confirm if you have updated the drivers mentioned there too, I know you mentioned that you updated all of them, but l'd like to confirm that.

Also, please respond to the following questions, these will help us to have a better look at this matter;

• When did the issue start?
  • Did you make any recent hardware or software changes?
  • If possible provide a screenshot of the Task Manager view.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello www_13,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the frequency of your processor.

I noticed that the BIOS version installed is not the latest for your system, so I recommend installing the latest for your system since it might address this behavior, please find it below. I would also like to confirm if you have updated the drivers mentioned there too, I know you mentioned that you updated all of them, but l'd like to confirm that.

Also, please respond to the following questions, these will help us to have a better look at this matter;

• When did the issue start?
  • Did you make any recent hardware or software changes?
  • If possible provide a screenshot of the Task Manager view.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
HPha
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I used MSI Live Update but it doesn't notify me about these drivers. Anyway, I've installed all 3 updates that you have mentioned.

To answer your questions:

. The issue started on 4th October (1 week ago). I noticed it has happened about 3 times since then.

. No hardware or major software changes

. I will provide you the screenshot when this happens again.

Since the issue occurs randomly, I'll need to check for a few days or weeks to see if the update has solved it or not. I will update with you then.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

October 4th would coincide with Microsoft's Windows Update service applying its latest set of updates. I suggest that you look at the update log and see what updates have been installed since October 3rd.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/118639 www_13, sure let me know how it goes. I also recommend to check Scott's suggestion, it might address this matter.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
HPha
Beginner

Hi Amy and Scott,

I checked the Windows Update but didn't found any updates that are closed to the date the issue happened.

Although I didn't see the old problem happens again, my PC keeps lagging for just about half a second, for every 10 seconds or so. Since I couldn't figure out the cause, I've decided to reset my PC.

After that I only installed Windows Update and essential apps; and decided not to install or update any driver.

At first, it looks good. But after a few days, I saw the speed issue happens again. So I updated the chipset driver and so far my PC has been working normally.

I'll continue with this. If anything goes wrong, I'll try to update the other drivers.

I hope this all is just a software issue.

Thank you for your support.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi /thread/118639 www_13,

Thank you for this update, hopefully the issue is fixed once and for all. But, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
HPha
Beginner

Hi, recently I'm having this issue again.

This time, checking Intel extreme tuning shows that the CPU is under thermal throttling while it happens.

Then, I checked with ThrottleStop and found that the reason is because of BD PROCHOT. Disable this function does return the CPU to it's normal speed.

It looks like to me that the MOBO might be the faulty one. I'll check with MSI.

Btw, is there any good reason to have BD PROCHOT on a PC?

I read that this feature is intended for laptop. On a desktop, throttling CPU won't have much impact on the system's temperature I reckon.

Or does it have something to do with the input power?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, it can be an important feature for Desktop as well. Consider that the voltage regulation IC can assert PROCHOT if the regulators are getting too hot (which can be caused by poor airflow over the motherboard). As well, most Super I/O (SIO) ICs (which typically also provides the fan speed control capability) can assert PROCHOT if one of the motherboard temperature sensors it monitors is getting really high readings. The SIO can also monitor PROCHOT and change fan response to help address the thermal issue.

Just saying,

...S

idata
Employee

Hello www_13,

As stated by N. Scott Pearson, enabling PROCHOT is beneficial to desktop computers, too. Please let us know if you need any further help.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
HPha
Beginner

Hi,

A guy at MSI suggest me to try to disable Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor in the BIOS.

As I understand, this feature monitors the CPU's temperature and slow it down if needed.

So is it safe to turn it off? Are there any other mechanics that throttle or turn off the CPU if it is overheating?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello www_13,

There are other thermal management features, but they may not be available in the BIOS settings because system manufacturers may limit the settings that you can enable/disable. You can review other features under the Thermal Management section in the following link.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

Now, as stated before, enabling this feature can be beneficial for your system, too. For testing purposes, you can follow the recommendations provided by your motherboard manufacturer, but it may also impact your system negatively if your system overheats.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos