Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

i5 8250u reaches 90+ C temp almost instantaneously on the "Prime" test with the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool or when stress test it.

SPenc
Beginner

I have a brand new HP ProBook 450 G5. In BIOS Turbo boost and DPTF are on. When I am plugged in AC and stress test the CPU or benchmark it, the CPU temperature drastically increases to 90+ Celsius and after a couple of secs the CPU frequency drops from 3.4 to 2.6 the fan begins to work a bit more hard and the temperatures drop to 70-75 C and stay on that level. I guess the CPU is throttling. Should I worry or this is just the way this CPU works? The Intel CPU diagnostic passes and the benchmark points are right where they should be, compared with other's results. When I am on battery the temps do not exceed 60 C no matter what I do and how much I load the CPU. Thank you in advance for the shared opinions!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SPenc, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to mention that the temperature you are getting is normal taking into consideration that the Tjunction of the processor is 100 C, this means that as long as the temperature is lower than 100 C throttling will not happen. The behavior that you have mentioned is expected. I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

1 Reply
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello SPenc, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to mention that the temperature you are getting is normal taking into consideration that the Tjunction of the processor is 100 C, this means that as long as the temperature is lower than 100 C throttling will not happen. The behavior that you have mentioned is expected. I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation