Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

i5-8400 and i5-9400F

SGerg5
Beginner

Hi!

Im about to buy a new processor. I found the i5-8400 and then the i5-9400F which is cheaper and has same performance. The i5-8400 cointains some features (which the i5-9400F not contains) like...

Embedded Options Available 

Intel® vPro™ Platform Eligibility

Intel® TSX-NI

Intel® Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP) 

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology

I would like to use this CPU for video, sound and photo editing, corel draw, AutoCAD. Are these features influence the performance and important? Or not noticeable? I know, the 9400F has no integrated GPU.

Thank you for the answer!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

There really is not much different between the two, except for the absence of graphics on the i5-9400F. Since you are not going to use the onboard graphics, the choice is yours. Personally, I would go with the i5-9400F, as it is newer and thus the warranty would be longer.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=190883,126687

Now, if you are planning on using an existing motherboard that supports the socket needed, you MUST also verify with the manufacturer of the board if THEIR BIOS supports either processor FIRST.

Doc

0 Kudos
SGerg5
Beginner

Mostly, I worry about the TSX-NI feature. It is built in the i5-8600. What about the i5-9400F and i5-8600? The i5-8600 has the TSX-NI and the 9400F has not. Is it important for the performace?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These features are all a part of VPro technology, which is aimed at corporate environments and enhanced platform manageability. For your personal needs, you do not need any of these features (and none of them will make a difference to performance). Bottom line, I agree with Al; go with the 9th gen processor.

...S

0 Kudos