Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i5 8500 drop to 800mhz

BKlim2
Beginner

I have issue with my cpu. I use "max performance" power plan in windows. I have frequency 3.9-4.1ghz with turbo boost. Sometimes I have drops on 1 core to 800mhz and 0,600V. I can see it in hwmonitor in minimum chart. Everything works fine (no freezes, fps problems or high temperature). I don't have drops in stress tests, only in idle or playing not demanding games. I disabled C-states in bios and i don't see drops anymore but i have only 3,90ghz right now? Are these drops normal?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

BKlim2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, yes, those drops are normal, even if you are using "Max Performance" power plan in Windows* if the computer is on idle state or playing not demanding games, it is expected that Processor Base Frequency will drop to a lower value.

There is a feature called Intel® SpeedStep® Technology, and what that feature does is that it will allow the system to dynamically adjust the Intel® Processor voltage and core frequency, decreasing average power consumption and heat production. So, if that feature is enabled in the BIOS of the board, it is even more so expected that the drops of the Intel® Processor Base Frequency will go all the way down to 800MHz.

Just to let you know, the Processor Base Frequency of the Intel® Core™ i5-8500 Processor is actually 3.00 GHz, so, if the unit is reaching 3.9GHz it means that the Intel® Processor is working fine since it is getting to a value higher than the one that is guaranteed for the unit to reach, which is 3.00GHz:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/129939/intel-core-i5-8500-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications, so we recommend to use the Intel® Processor at stock configurations with the default BIOS settings.

Additionally, we do have a tool that is called Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool and what it does is an overall test on the unit, if the Intel® Processor passed the test then it means it is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

BKlim2, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

BKlim2, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos