Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i5 9400 running hot

Sean_B
Beginner

Hi guys, I have just got myself new PC -Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B365M DS3H (U3E1), with Intel Core i5 9400 @ 2.90GHz Coffee Lake.

The issues are that when im playing certain games it starts to sound like its going to take off or something! + the temp rises sometimes to the 70's then occasionally the game crashes altogether? I have had it back to the store, which ran various tests via online service with Gigabyte and changed thermal paste etc: And assured me that the pc was fine. The guy in the store said that maybe it was something to do with the new PC is running the latest windows 10 2004- 20H2?  And that some non windows apps and games may have a conflict?

The thing is the only apps or games this happens with is Asphalt8 and Asphalt9? Both of are from the Microsoft store? as soon as i close the game, the noise and temp go back to normal? Any ideas or suggestions 

cpu A9.jpg

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Be Safe Guys,

Sean.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Sean_B, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Fo this scenario, first of all, just to let you know, the 

T-junction of the Intel® Core™ i5-9400 Processor is 100°C, that means that any value lower than that is considered normal and expected as you can confirm in the following link:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134898/intel-core-i5-9400-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

You mentioned "And that some non windows apps and games may have a conflict? The thing is the only apps or games this happens with is Asphalt8 and Asphalt9?"

Thet could be a reason, yes, since those are non-Windows* apps and games there might be problems, but, since the issue only happens with Asphalt8 and Asphalt9, we just wanted to confirm if you checked the game requirements for those games and if you make sure your system complies with them?

When the game crashes, do you see any type of messages, error codes, alerts?

Have you tried a BIOS update on the board to the latest version F6e?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

We do have a tool that is called the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if passes the test it means the Intel® Processor is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

If the problem persists after the BIOS update, please provide the SSU report so we ca verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Sean_B
Beginner

Hi Alberto_R,

Thank you for the information and advice very helpful I didn't quite follow everything! (T junction-SSU) as a novice non-tech guy, but ill read the links provided thanks. The bios is latest version F6e it was done for me when I took it back to the store. There are no error notifications when this happens? and both applications open back up again. Ill run the IPDT Processor Diagnostic Tool and see what happens?

The ssu report should that be done just if the app crashes?

Thank you again for looking at this for me.

May be it just needs a better cooling fan? do you think that could improve the noise?

Sean_B

0 Kudos
Sean_B
Beginner

Hi Alberto_R,

Just an Update. As suggested i ran the SSU and attached the file (not sure if that's the correct format?)

Good luck and thanks again

Sean_B

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Sean_BYou are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

In reference to your questions, "As suggested i ran the SSU and attached the file (not sure if that's the correct format?)" yes, it is in the right format thank you, I was actually checking the memory RAM being used since the proper one should be DDR4-2666, the memory controller is located on the processor, so the Intel® Processor is the one that indicates which memory RAM to use:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134898/intel-core-i5-9400-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

"Maybe it just needs a better cooling fan? do you think that could improve the noise?", that is something that we will be able to confirm once we ran the Intel® PDT test, if the Intel® Processor failed the test then it could indicate that the unit has a problem might be getting overheated and in that case to get a better colling solution will be recommended, especially in this case that the noise only happens when running those specific games. There is another tool to monitor the temperature of the Intel® Processor, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, once installed it will allow you to check the current temperature of the unit:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?wapkw=Intel%C2%AE%20Extreme%20Tuning%20Utility%20(Intel%C2%AE%20XTU)%207.0.1.4

The T-junction is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die. Take your time in running the Intel® PDT test and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Sean_B
Beginner

Hi and thanks Alberto_R,

Thank you again for the information I am trying my best to follow it all?

(RAM DDR4-2666) I have a free software named Speccy. (see pic RAM )It says unknown? Can you tell if it meets the intel specs?

RAM.jpg

 Re guarding the PDT. I've also (from link provided earlier) downloaded and run it pics below (hope this is correct?) after opening the IPDT I then clicked Repair

PDT1.jpg                                  PDT3.jpg

   

Hope this helps in some way Also I have contacted the Gameloft customer support team to see if they can help? (I'm not holding my breath) but ill update you if I get answers!.

Ill download and try the ETU shortly.

Thanks again Alberto_

Sean_B

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Sean_B, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing those updates.

In reference to your question, "Can you tell if it meets the intel specs?", yes, on the SSU report the part number showing for the memory RAM is: LD4AU008G-H2666G, if you check the specifications on the link below, you will see that it is fully compatible with the Intel® Processor, the voltage is 1.2 as it should be and the speed can be 3200Mbps / 2666Mbps, but in the SSU report under "Memory" it says: "Configured Clock Speed:"2666 MHz", so it is working at the correct speed as well:

https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_page/ddr4-32002666-udimm-desktop-memory/#specifications

After installing the Intel® PDT, did you run the test? Did the Intel® Processor pass the test?

"but ill update you if I get answers!." perfect, once you get the chance, please let us know their answer and the temperature value showing in Intel® XTU.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Speccy was last updated 05/18/18. It is so far out of date that I wouldn't trust it for anything. Use something that is getting updated regularly, like AIDA64 or HWiNFO64.

...S

0 Kudos
Sean_B
Beginner

Hi n_scott,

Thanks for the info i have HWiNFO64 installed now, Thanks again.

Sean

0 Kudos
Sean_B
Beginner

Hello again Alberto_R

Thanks for all your help with this I wasn't expecting such good response cheers.

Still no reply from Gameloft! (no surprise there).

"After installing the Intel® PDT, did you run the test? Did the Intel® Processor pass the test?" I checked the downloads and there was already a previous download as mine had a (1) next to it it so the test must have been done when I took it back to the store so I uninstalled the program then re-installed it then ran a fresh test (see pic:)

IPDT PASS.jpg

 Green looks good!

I also ran the Intel XTU and included a log file?

Hope it helps? and thanks again for your patience as i bumble my through this.

Ill let you know if I hear any thing from Gameloft!.

Cheers again and be safe!  Alberto_R

Sean

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Sean_B, Thank you very much for sharing those details, for the picture and the report.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the Intel® Processor passed the Intel® PDT test because that indicates that it is working fine, no problems with it, the source of the issue is something else.

Regarding the Intel® XTU tool, as long as the temperature does not reach 100°C it should be fine. When the Intel® Processor gets overheated, the main symptoms are that the computer will start to throttle, it will get freeze not only with games but with any other application or task that you try to use and finally the computer will go off by itself, since this is a feature the Intel® Processor has to avoid damaging other components in your platform. Since the problem only happens while running certain games, it does not seem that the unit is getting overheated, based on the fact as well that it passed the Intel® PDT test.

So yes, keep checking with Gameloft to report the issue, to check if they are aware of this scenario and if they might have a possible solution for this problem, once you get the chance please let us know the results so we can provide further assistance if needed.

Cheers, be safe as well.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Sean_B
Beginner

Hi Alberto_R,

Thanks again for all your help trying to get a reason for this?

I'm not holding my breath for any clear answers from Gameloft, we can only wait and see if they reply? (they haven't has yet).

Don't know if you guys at Intel have had any other reports or problems? but the issue may have something to do with Windows 10 2004  I have been reading many posts reporting many different issues and problems so may be as i'm running the latest W10 version 20H2? I am going to contact Microsoft to see if they have any similar issues reported? Its worth a try (again Ill not hold my breath!)  Not every support as helpful as you guys.

If I hear anything back from any of those two with fix or suggestions  ill update this post.

Thank you very much 

Be Safe and merry Xmas to all.

Sean

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Sean_B, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those updates.

Yes, that is actually the next option to try, especially as you mentioned that you purchase the games from the Microsoft store. 

So yes, try to get in contact directly with Microsoft, to report this scenario, to check if there are other similar reports and to confirm if they might have a solution for this matter, once you get the chance let us know the outcome of talking to them:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Be Safe and Merry Christmas to you too.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Sean_B, I just wanted to check if you were able to get in contact directly with Microsoft and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Sean_B, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos