Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i5 9400F Overheating

Petros92b
Beginner

Good evening to all community,

I am facing some issues with my processor. Temperature on idle is at 40-60°C (which as I already read is normal). Temperature under loading 35% and over processor is overheating to 95°C+, most of times is 100°C (screenshots attached). I tried every possible solution.

-Clean the tower from dust

-Change from stock Intel cooler to Water cooling (CoolerMaster ML240L RGB)

-Clean install Windows

-Open the front panel of tower

-Change the thermal paste

-Check for any faults for hardware or software

-Update BIOS

I couldn't fine anything. I am really worry for my processor because is very dangerous running on these temperatures.

Please advice.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Well, these temperatures are definitely not acceptable.

This can be caused by any of these:
1. Bad TIM.
2. Improperly installed thermal mass retention.
3. Improperly configured fan speed control in BIOS.
4. Inadequate cooling solution.
5. Failure in mobo's fan speed control subsystem.
5. Failure in processor.
For 3, fan speed control subsystem should keep average temperature under load below, say, 90c (spikes above are ok). That is, CPU fans (and pumps) should be configured to run at full speed for any temperature above 90c.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Petros92b
Beginner

For 1. I think I can't identify it isn't?

For 2. Only the cpu cores are in high temperature, the other parts like GPU, Motherboard, Cpu socket are in logical temperatures.

For 3,4,5. I already checked fans speeds and was completely correct, also I make a setup so they will run always on 100% but the CPU core's temperature was high again.

For 6. I run a the intel test for the system and every part pass the test. How can be a cpu failure and still can pass the test??

My conclusion is either the CPU is faulty on some thermal issue or the watercooling system is not working properly. (which I test the pump and is working because I can raise or lower the RPM)

I just don't what else I have to do.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to remember is that the motherboard controls the PWM output(s) that are used by the cooling system to control both fan and pump speeds. You need to ensure that the algorithm being used by the fan speed control subsystem is appropriate. Your algorithm should take the duty cycle for the PWM(s) from some minimum (say, 30%) to maximum (100%) over a reasonable temperature range (say, 60c to 90c). If you then see the temperature being maintained at or below 90c, with only very short duration spikes to temperatures above this level, then you have a good solution.

For Item 1, Bad TIM means a number of things. In addition to Tim that has not separated or dried out, you also have to ensure that you have the right amount (not too much and not too little) and that it is spread across the processor's heat spreader in an even layer that is not too thick and not too thin.

...S

0 Kudos