Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i5 9400f overheating

boogdan47
Novice

Hello, i have an i5 9400f with a small problem. I tested it in aida64 stress test and i had max temp 88°C with 3.82 frequency with a stock cooler.

Is this temp normal ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What may be happening is that the system is being throttled due to power consumption. This is common in laptops, which could be running on battery, but we are seeing it used more often in Desktop systems to limit power consumption if the voltage rails are getting too hot. This phenomena can occur in systems with liquid cooling because the air movement is moved away from the surface of the motherboard. Regardless of cause, I suggest you look into improving the airflow over your motherboard and especially in the vicinity of the processor socket.

Sometimes, the coefficients for making power-based throttling decisions are exposed and can be configured within the BIOS Setup program. I wish all motherboards that implement this capability would make it configurable.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, perfectly normal. Seeing temperatures in the 80's, with only the occasional spike into the 90's, is what I would expect to see when placing a significant load on the machine.

If temperatures are consistently going into the 90's for significant periods of time, however, this is a sign of an inadequate or incorrectly configured cooling solution.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
boogdan47
Novice

It keeps staying in 80°C in many games. Could it be in thermalthrottle-ing at this temp ? Should i cool it with a cooler or an aio ? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Is it affecting the play of the games? If not (i.e., processor not throttling), then that's great.

...S

0 Kudos
boogdan47
Novice

Yes, it is. It lowers performances and fps 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What may be happening is that the system is being throttled due to power consumption. This is common in laptops, which could be running on battery, but we are seeing it used more often in Desktop systems to limit power consumption if the voltage rails are getting too hot. This phenomena can occur in systems with liquid cooling because the air movement is moved away from the surface of the motherboard. Regardless of cause, I suggest you look into improving the airflow over your motherboard and especially in the vicinity of the processor socket.

Sometimes, the coefficients for making power-based throttling decisions are exposed and can be configured within the BIOS Setup program. I wish all motherboards that implement this capability would make it configurable.

Hope this helps,

...S