Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

i5-9600k underperforming

waffaeel
Beginner

 Recently I switched from AMD to Intel. It has been the worst mistake of my life. Originally I had an ryzen 5 2600, an amazing processor that I loved, but it broke recently due to some issues. I switched to intel since I heard there was better gaming performance, also intel is currently cheaper. I bought the i7-9700F. It underperformed, not only 3rd party were telling me it was underperforming. But when I played in games, my cpu would run at 4.1-4.6ghz at 49-51c and still take 80%-100%. The main game I play is Overwatch. I run overwatch at low settings, high texture. The game should run at around 200-300 frames for the i7, but it would simply not. I had to cap the frames at 100, still then the game took up to 75%. I updated my bios, drivers, and re-installed windows but still nothing changed. I thought that I might have just gotten a bad processor, so I went back and exchanged it for a i5-9600K. But this is even performing worse. Yes, I am aware that it is a worse processor still, but it should be performing better than a DEFECTIVE PROCCESER. The i5 runs the game at low settings, high texture, capped 100 frames and uses up to 85%-100% of the processor. Also, the audio cuts out in-game. The i5 should easily be able to get 140 frames. Before I exchange my cpu AGAIN, please tell me if there might be a problem I'm not thinking of. Also, it seems as if audio is taking up a lot of my cpu as well. Any ideas on that?

Pc Specs

i5-9600k

hyper 212 

AsRock B365m pro4

gtx 1660

16gb ram, 2666

256 nvme ssd

750w psu

Benchmark- https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37167639

Intel- https://hwbot.org/xtu/analyze/4633032?recalculate=true

Photo of task manager during Overwatch match

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
waffaeel
Beginner

Also here's a photo of my task manager audio thing I'm speaking of

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @waffaeel

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In case you haven't tried yet, we kindly recommend checking the following link where you can find some suggestions that may help with this behavior >> How to Correct Drop on FPS (Frames Per Second) and High CPU Usage While Gaming on an Intel Processor

Also, check with NVIDIA® support* for the latest graphics drivers available; as well, check with ASRock* support team* if there are BIOS updates available for your motherboard and if they recommend installing/updating to help to resolve this behavior.

If the behavior persists, please provide the following details:

1- Please attach the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report (as recommended to run this app on the link above)

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

2- Have you monitored/checked for other apps running in the background that may be impacting CPU utilization?

3- We understand the CPU reaches temperatures around "49-51C". Do you mean this temperature range is when gaming or when using the system for regular tasks or in idle?

Please provide the brand and model of the Cooling Solution/Fan:

4- Is this happening only with "Overwatch" or with any other game/app?

5- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
waffaeel
Beginner

1. It did pass 

2. The only app that slightly affects my cpu is discord, but discord is not an app that should be affecting the game. It only takes about 10% MAX.

3. The cpu reaches 49-51c during gaming.  The cpu at idle is aroun 30-40c. This is my cpu cooler, https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-rgb-black-edition/

4.  This is happening with all games I play. 

0 Kudos
waffaeel
Beginner
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @waffaeel

Thank you very much for all the information provided.

Please allow us to look into this behavior and we will be updating this thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @waffaeel

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further and according to the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool we would like to mention that the processor is running under the design specification and the processor can vary a lot with the new versions of BIOS, controllers, and operating system; and the updates of the game itself influence how the processor can work, nor does it mean that the processor is with a defect. Also, the system is using a third-party graphics card so we recommend contacting the graphics card manufacturer and the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) to check drivers, BIOS configuration, Settings, etc.  

There are different factors and components that you may check/test since those may affect performance, so the behavior could be also related to:

• Disk drive performance issues (The games have to load assets onto memory)
  • OS virtual paging issues (Try a clean OS installation)
  • BIOS compatibility issues

Checking the Intel® SSU report we see that the BIOS and operating system (OS) are updated. So, our recommendation is to contact the computer vendor or graphics card vendor to look into this issue. In that way, they can try to reproduce this behavior in-house and provide further recommendations.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @waffaeel

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos