Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

i5 to i7

SLsm0
Beginner

Hey sorry for the dumb question, i upgrade my pc from i5-9400F to i7-8700

Question is - since i5 could only do 32 GB max (16x2), my new i7-8700 will be able to support up to 64gb of RAM. My interest is — is it safe just to put 2x32GB in my (only) 2 DDR4 slots and it will run smooth or there some complications to such transformation? Very specific question, hard to find any info online.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is not the processor (or i5 vs. i7) that determines how much memory you can install. In fact, both of these processors can actually support up to 128GB of memory (see this comparison for more information: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=126686,190883).

It is the memory initialization code in your motherboard's BIOS that determines the limit on the size of DIMM/SODIMM that can be supported. Consequently, you need to be looking at the documentation for your motherboard to determine how much memory the board can actually support. If it says 32GB (16GBx2), then that limitation actually applies to both of these processors.

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is not the processor (or i5 vs. i7) that determines how much memory you can install. In fact, both of these processors can actually support up to 128GB of memory (see this comparison for more information: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=126686,190883).

It is the memory initialization code in your motherboard's BIOS that determines the limit on the size of DIMM/SODIMM that can be supported. Consequently, you need to be looking at the documentation for your motherboard to determine how much memory the board can actually support. If it says 32GB (16GBx2), then that limitation actually applies to both of these processors.

...S

SLsm0
Beginner

My mother is H370 and you right, it supports 64GB of ram max

i guess i will install 2x32GB with no problem

thank you for your time