Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

i7 10700 crashes when turbo boost is on

unnamed7
Beginner

I have a dozen of machines that uses ASUS H410M-A with i7 10700. These machines suddenly turn off and restart under high load, once every half an hour or so, especially when running my own code for surveillance using 2 cameras connected to 2 usb ethernet connectors. (although the total amount of traffic isn't so high, just 1Mbits/s to 1.5Mbits/s per each camera). 

I tried everything I can to resolve this including,

BIOS update

Reloading BIOS default setting

Driver updates for all devices

Windows re-installation

Memory tests

Memory DIMM replacement

Power module replacement

Re-seating heat sink

Various power settings

But the problem does not completely go away.

The CPU looks to be cool enough at around 50 to 60 degrees, the only workaround I've found is to set maximum cpu usage to 99% that limits the turbo mode and runs the CPU at 2.79GHz. 

It does not BSOD or freeze, it just shuts down completely. As said, this is not happening only to one machine but to 20 identically configured machines or so, all exhibit the same problem. My company is using another 200 PCs with different processors and configuration, but those runs fine. 

I am really puzzled about this, I had resolved lots of hardware/software related troubles in the past but have never seen anything like this. I assume the problem is down to either a strange CPU config or some components on the motherboard. Could anyone help me? What else can I try to nail this down?

Bests,

Takashi Watanabe

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

unnamed7, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, at this point pretty much you tried all the troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this scenario. One more step that we can try is to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it is a very reliable tool, and if the unit passes the test it means it is working properly and there is no hardware problem with the Intel® Processor:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

Please let us know the results of the test so we can further assist you with this matter. Also, even though the problem happens on 20 different machines, please attach the SSU report, at least from one of them, so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
unnamed7
Beginner

Hi Albert, thanks for infos.

[quote]Just to let you know, at this point pretty much you tried all the troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this scenario. One more step that we can try is to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it is a very reliable tool, and if the unit passes the test it means it is working properly and there is no hardware problem with the Intel® Processor:[/quote]

I tried it. The program does not utilise USB or any other component but CPU, I run a simple program to show a surveillance camera while running it for a long period.

However, I noticed the program almost always runs GPU at 100%, which causes the turbo boost to limit the processor speed to 3.6GHz. To get faster 4+GHz, the GPU load has to be lower.  If the CPU is running at a modest speed like that, the crash does not happen. 

[quote]

Please let us know the results of the test so we can further assist you with this matter. Also, even though the problem happens on 20 different machines, please attach the SSU report, at least from one of them, so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

[/quote]

I attached the log.

Another thing I noticed, I am testing 2 machines in front of me out of 20 other identical ones online via teamviewer. These 2 machines' hdmi port becomes dodgy when under high loads like the IPDT testing and my programs.  Displays connected to the HDMI port often loses sync and flicker. (Yes, believe me, it only flickers and loses sync under high load, not when idle. And the same happens to both of the 2 machines.) This is why I thought it was the power supply, but as said above, it didn't go away after I swapped the unit. 

So the problem is somewhat electrical, too. This problem is really puzzling me. I changed the max processor speed to 99% on a few online machines and they are running stable.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi unnamed7, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

We will do further research on this matter, but, before we can do that, I just wanted to confirm if the Intel® Processor actually passed the Intel® PDT test?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
unnamed7
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

PDT could not make the power cut, it could continuously run for hours yesterday.

But still, it power cuts if I run my program for an hour or so which uses an onvif camera -> usb-ether connector -> opencv AI. The cpu runs at around 20% to 40% and occasionally up to 100% and GPU (UHD630) around 80% to 90%. It is slow enough to the turbo boost to reach 4.5Ghz or so unlike the PDT test that does not push the processor to the state, the processor stays at around 3.3GHz or so while running the PDT test.

I have of course tried different USB3 ethernet adaptors and the crash is always sudden power down, no BSOD or anything that OS can catch.

Bests,

Takashi Watanabe

0 Kudos
unnamed7
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Sorry for the multi-posting. 

I kept running the PDT today and it stopped with the big "Fail" message on the screen.

There was "Fail" string next to floating-point, I thought that is included in the log files so I started again,

but in the log file I can't see the detail.

Log files attached, please check.

Takashi

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi unnamed7, No problem at all, thank you very much for providing those details, confirming that information, and sharing the log files.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello unnamed7, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we can see the memory is running at 2666MHz, try to put it at the processor's maximum speed, which is 

DDR4-2933MHz, to check if the performance improves.

You mentioned that it doesn't happen when idle and that mostly happens with the surveillance cameras he has, can you please tell us more apps where the issue is present?

Run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility and please send us a screenshot under the CPU Frequency tab:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/12136/intel-processor-identification-utility-windows-version.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20identification%20utility

Are you activating Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 or 3.0? If you are using version 2.0, then try with 3.0 or vice versa.

Those 20 machines, were they working fine before, could you please run the Intel® PDT in any other of the dozen machines and send us the results?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello unnamed7, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello unnamed7, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos