Clancy
Beginner

Hi!

I recently purchased parts to build a new system, including:

i7-10700KF

ASUS PRIME Z590M-PLUS MB

16G (2 x 8G) DDR4-3600 G-Skill Ripjaws V

Rosewill Glacier 600W PSU

Running ubuntu on it and the kernel reports an MCE consistently on boot, but I can't seem to find info on what exact problem that is:

Mar 10 12:30:45 server kernel: [    0.227974] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Mar 10 12:30:45 server kernel: [    0.227979] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 6: ee0000000040110a
Mar 10 12:30:45 server kernel: [    0.227983] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR fef20200 MISC 43880000086
Mar 10 12:30:45 server kernel: [    0.227991] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:a0655 TIME 1615408240 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode e2

memtest86 indicates horrible (ie. 45GB/s L1 cache speed, 6.5GB/s RAM speed) cache and RAM speeds on it and it seems to be related to intel speedshift. If I disable speedshift, memtest reports acceptable (ie. 200 GB/s L1 cache speed and 17GB/s RAM speed).

Also, with the default bios settings, I'm getting a geekbench benchmark score for the CPU of a small fraction (ie. 874 single and 3833 multi-core) of what I get with speed shift disabled (ie. 1439 single and 8681 multi-core).

I've tried with RAM from another system and the results are the same. The results on the other system (much older i5 7th gen CPU) are much better than this system, even with speedshift disabled (ie. old system gets 250 GB/s L1 cache speed and 20GB/s RAM speed).

The results are 100% reproducible, in that they are always bad with default settings and always better with speed step disabled.

Can anyone with more experience provide some insight on why this MCE error might be happening, and why disabling speedshift has such a dramatic performance effect? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Clancy,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following report and information to continue.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System

Instructions:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26735/eng/ReleaseNotes.txt

When did you buy the processor?

Have you ever use overclocking with this CPU?

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Clancy
Beginner

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the response. I bought them very recently, and as a result decided to return them for replacement (had to do it already as the RMA process expired within a few days), so I can't get further diagnostics yet.

No I had not ever done overclocking with the exception of setting the RAM to 3600MHz, as per its spec, but the same results were seen with the RAM running at lower frequencies.

When I receive the replacement components, I will continue this discussion. Hopefully just to resolve it as defective parts, but otherwise to debug further if the issue persists.

Clancy

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Clancy,

We understand your position; nonetheless, in order to provide any further advice we will need for you to have the parts, if you want, what we can do is either wait and maintain the thread open or we can close it, and you can post a new question later in the forum in case the replacement parts are not going to arrive at your location anytime soon, please let us know so we can continue.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Clancy
Beginner
Understandable, Victor. Feel free to close this thread, as the replacement parts likely won't be here for a couple weeks. I'll reopen another one if the issue persists then. Thanks!

Clancy
0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Clancy,

We appreciate your response, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, you are more than welcome to submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos