Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i7-10750H not reaching 5 Ghz

vlad84
Novice

Hi,

As the title says, I bought Legion 5 with i7-10750H and I ran a bunch of tests. The top speed is at 4,5Ghz. I tried all the stress tests.

Here are the screenshots from the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I haven't used any modifications, merely observed the temperature and performance.

Annotation 2020-08-09 183659.png

Annotation 2020-08-09 183435.pngAnnotation 2020-08-09 183623.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello vlad84,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

After checking the thread I understand that your laptop is not reaching the Max Turbo Frequency that your processor supports.

When talking about that feature there are several things that we need to take into consideration, the processor must be working in the power, temperature, and specification limits of the thermal design power. If the system does not meet these requirements, or the workload is not demanding, then the processor might not reach the Max Turbo Frequency, in this case, 5.00Ghz.

However, based on the results we can see that the Max Turbo Frequency is working as the processor exceeds the base frequency under the tests.

You may want to check with your laptop manufacturer for any additional settings in BIOS or even make sure that the BIOS is up to date.

Please take a look at the following link with more information about the Intel® Turbo Boost Frequency:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031027/processors/intel-core-processors.html#:~:text=If%20your%20system%20does%20not,BIOS%20is%20up%20to%20date.&text=Make%20sure%20your%20processor%20thermal%20cooling%20solution%20is%20appropriate%20for%20Turbo%20operation.

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should not be using XTU.  XTU only supports X and K processors.  You have an H processor.  You cannot rely upon data provided for a processor that is not supported.

Doc

0 Kudos
vlad84
Novice

The utility displays all the real-time information about the processor, including the workload. Can you provide some reference in support of your claim?

However, here are also the results from various other tools, none of which go near 5 Ghz:

Annotation 2020-08-09 224125.pngAnnotation 2020-08-09 223033.png

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Not a claim, just a fact.  Just look at the XTU download page under

"This download is valid for the product(s) listed below."

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

Should be simple enough.

Doc

0 Kudos
vlad84
Novice

That still does not invalidate the results of the measurements it took, which are confirmed by other tools as well. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, XTU is not supported on your processor.

As for the results of the other utilities, ask the manufacturer of those utilities.

Doc

0 Kudos
vlad84
Novice

Ask them what, exactly? There is no evidence on your part to prove that the measured results by that one tool are invalid or incorrect. 

The issue is that the processor is not working as fast as advertized. The XTU tool is inconsequental, it was one of many that showed the same results, including the Windows 10 task manager.  

Either there is a specialized Intel tool for banchmarking processors or a setting that was not enabled and it should have been on my part.

I posted this because a year ago I bought an Intel CPU laptop which had a BIOS defect that locked the speed at 0.78 Ghz after 1 minute of working, and I wanted to make sure that this i7 processor is working as advertized by Intel, before my buyer's protection runs out.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello vlad84,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

After checking the thread I understand that your laptop is not reaching the Max Turbo Frequency that your processor supports.

When talking about that feature there are several things that we need to take into consideration, the processor must be working in the power, temperature, and specification limits of the thermal design power. If the system does not meet these requirements, or the workload is not demanding, then the processor might not reach the Max Turbo Frequency, in this case, 5.00Ghz.

However, based on the results we can see that the Max Turbo Frequency is working as the processor exceeds the base frequency under the tests.

You may want to check with your laptop manufacturer for any additional settings in BIOS or even make sure that the BIOS is up to date.

Please take a look at the following link with more information about the Intel® Turbo Boost Frequency:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031027/processors/intel-core-processors.html#:~:text=If%20your%20system%20does%20not,BIOS%20is%20up%20to%20date.&text=Make%20sure%20your%20processor%20thermal%20cooling%20solution%20is%20appropriate%20for%20Turbo%20operation.

Esteban D. 

vlad84
Novice

Hi Esteban and thank you very much for your reply. Is there a benchmark test that you can recommend I try to get a definitive answer? It would go a long way to have something concrete when contacting the laptop manufacturer.

I don't expect it to be constantly at 5 Ghz, just that the laptop can reach it.

Thank you for confirming that the Max Turbo Frequency is working. The BIOS was updated very recently and the whole laptop lineup is quite new. I tried it in different circumstances (hot, cold, gaming, benchmarking single and multi-core).

0 Kudos
HadiBrais
New Contributor III

I noticed from the results you shared that these tools attempt to measure frequency at 100% CPU utilization, which means that when all of the 6 cores are fully utilized. Under this load, the maximum frequency is 4.3 GHz. In the results from the question,  the frequency is reported to be slightly higher. That's because there are two short periods of time whether the utilization is below 100%. In the results from your other post, the reported frequency is slightly lower than 4.3 GHz, probably because a temperature limit was reached. Overall, these numbers make sense to me.

If you want to reach anywhere near 5 GHz, only one core has to be fully utilized and all other cores have to be fully idle. One way to do this is to boot up your system in single-core mode from the BIOS settings. This can also be configured using the Windows msconfig tool in the Advanced options of the boot tab. In single-core mode and the core fully utilized, the frequency should be close or at 5 GHz.

vlad84
Novice

Thank you @HadiBrais , I tried it with GeekBench in both single processor and normal start-up. I managed to reach 4.75 Ghz on a single and 4.85 Ghz in normal. The laptop is not running hot btw, they did a good job with the cooling.

Also, single processor run reminded me of how slow were the computers in the early 2000s

Esteban_D_Intel

Hello vlad84,

Thank you for your post, it's nice to know that the information provided by the community was useful for you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored 

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos