Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i7-10750H uneven core temperatures

dpatel91
Beginner

Hi,

I've noticed when under 100% load during a stress test, the core temperatures on my processor can be uneven with up to 17 degrees celsius difference between the hottest core and coolest.

Using HWInfo, I am getting 97 - 99 degrees on Cores 1 and 3 and Core 5 is around 94. Cores 2 and 4 are around 85 and Core 6 tends to be around 82-84.

As you can see, the odd cores are hottest and the even cores are cooler

CPU is staying at about 3.9GHz clock speed and 100% load on all cores

I'm wondering if this is normal and if not, what the issue might be?

4 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello dpatel91,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

It is normal to see one core working with a higher load and temperature than the others, this is because the operating system assigns tasks between the cores, ensuring that the workload is appropriate without compromising the system.

To make sure that your Intel unit is working well, use our Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT) which checks brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests processor-specific features, and performs a stress test on the processor.

Under a stress test, usually, the processor reaches its maximum capability, according to our specifications that you can check here. Since you are using third-party apps we cannot confirm if the information is accurate, because we don't exactly how the application works. On the other hand, the Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor is a mobile processor, so it is integrated into a laptop only the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) handles the system specifications. In this case, Intel just provides the CPU in stock settings, and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed. For specific and accurate measures, please contact your OEM.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
dpatel91
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, Maria

I also ran the same tests using Intel XTU to stress test and check core temperatures, utilization etc

All 6 cores are at 100% utilization and at 4.0GHz:

Core 0, 2 and 4 are running 97-99 degrees celsius

Core 1, 3 and 5 are running much cooler at 82-85 degrees celsius

So is this much variance between odd and even core temps when all cores are loaded at 100% normal or is it due to something else?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello dpatel91,

The Intel* XTU is not validated for your processor, the tool was created for unlocked processors. Stress the system or modify settings with this tool may affect your PC performance.

On stock settings processors, it is normal to see different temperature spikes between the cores under stress tests and under normal usage.

To monitor a third-party system as your laptop, please check with the Original Manufacturer if they can provide you with a compatible tool, validated and tested on your specific PC. It will depend on their design how the temperature and the amount of work will be distributed.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello dpatel91,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos