Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

i7 11700 OEM copper core cooler base contact

etp7
Beginner

I did not notice any peel off covering on the bottom of the thermal solution. Just added a little paste and installed. It did feel slightly sticky.

Anyone verify there is no peel off plastic on the bottom?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @etp7

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Just to make sure and in order to check this further, could you please confirm if you are using the Intel® stock fan-heatsink that came in the box with your Intel® Processor?

If you are using a different cooler than the one that came in the box (either a different Intel® cooler/fan-heatsink or a third-party cooler) please provide the brand and full model.

Note:

Most stock thermal solutions for Intel® Boxed Desktop Processors ship with the Thermal interface material (TIM) already applied to the bottom of the fan-heatsink in a 3-bar application. If your fan-heatsink has pre-applied TIM, there is no need to apply extra TIM.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
etp7
Beginner

My question was does this factory OEM fan that came in the box with the CPU  have a plastic protective film over the TIM?

Did not notice any but this is important to me as the instructions never mentioned removing any protective film.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello etp7

Thank you for your response and for the clarification. Please allow us to review this further in order to provide you with the proper information. We will be updating the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello etp7

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you and confirm that the Intel® stock fan-heatsink that comes in the box with the processor doesn't have a protective plastic and this actually makes sense with Step 7 in this guide How to Install the LGA115x and LGA1200 Processor into the Socket where it mentions to be careful with the TIM since it could be damaged. We will share this feedback with the proper team so they may either improve documentation to clarify when no protective plastic is included (and therefore no need to worry about removing it), or to analyze if they may consider for future products to include a protective plastic covering the TIM. Unfortunately, the team will not be able to provide updates regarding the status of the suggestion/request. 

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
etp7
Beginner
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello etp7

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos