Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

i7-2600K only showing 2 cores/4 threads

idata
Employee

My new processor is only showing 2 cores and 4 threads on an Asus P8Z68-V Pro board. Did I do something wrong? I rtan the driver check on this site and my drivers are up to date. Task manager shows 2 cores as "parked".

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Try setting the number of processor core in your bios to "all". That is, in Bios, go to Advance Menu, Select CPU Configuration, and select Active Processor Cores. Set it to "All".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try Administrative Tools in Control Panel. Select System Configuration. Select Boot. Then select Advance option. Uncheck number of processors. Reboot and check.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I got it. It was my fault I tried to fast track and just move my HDDs over to the new board without doing fresh re install of Windows 7. I just did a quick dirty install on a spare HDD and all 8 threads were visible (4 cores / 8 threads). So I'll set up for a fresh install.

What I did try prior to OS:

1) MSconfig for processors for boot up, only 4 showed.

2) Regedit to "unpark" cores found in Resource Monitor.

3) Adjusted Advanced power settings for processor from active to passive.

4) Complete review of Bios, Cores set to All, Flashed to latest version

5) Complete driver review by Intel and updates.

Hope this helps someone in need.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Booga1289 wrote:

I got it. It was my fault I tried to fast track and just move my HDDs over to the new board without doing fresh re install of Windows 7. I just did a quick dirty install on a spare HDD and all 8 threads were visible (4 cores / 8 threads). So I'll set up for a fresh install.

Hope this helps someone in need.

It would seem that what you have provided is a guide to help anybody who might encounter the problem you have presented. However, it can be very helpful if you provide some explanation to the helpless such as the following:

1. Explain how you did number two and how it contribute to the problem.

2. Explain how to set the power setting can be set from "active" to "passive". If possible explain also why it causes the problem you presented.

3. Explain why the driver review by intel and updates got to do with the problem at hand.

Without the explanation someone might just get confused and get lost in following your guide.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Booga1289 wrote:

;

;

;

;

;

;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me clarify for others. None of the steps outlined 1 - 5 helped fix my problem. The issue was a conflict within the OS that was corrected with a clean install.

# 1 reflects how I found the issue. When I would go into Task Manager> Performance>Resource Manager, I would see only 4 CPUs (Which is actually 2

Cores / 4 threads) therefore I was seeing the 4 threads. On a Quad core I7 with Hyperthreading I should have see eight. I then loaded CPU-Z and verified, it also showed 2 cores/4 threads (see above post). When I looked closer in Process Monitor it showed "parked" next to some of the cores.

# 2 Reflects a post when found under "parked core" that explained how to go into your registry and "unpark" your cores. I followed this in hopes that it would free up the other cores not visible. No Luck there.

# 3 Was the result of another search on Cores that maybe it was related to a power saving option. The setting Control Panel>Power Options> Change plane Setting>Change Advanced Settings>Processor Power Management - No help

# 4 Bios - Just info. Processer Info stated 4 cores, Cores set to All, and Bios where of the latest revision.

# 5 Just in case it was driver driven to unlock all of the cores, I ran the driver review utility on the intel site. Didn't address the issue.

Last option was to take a spare drive and do a quick OS install (No updates), disconnected my other hard drives first, and then ran Resource manager Booyah! all threads and cores visible. Removed drive, reinstalled old HDD and did a fresh install.

Root Cause was me. Complete reinstall of windows cured issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you think that the problem you raise is resolve mark it as answered.

0 Kudos