Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i7-4770K CPU fail after running Diagnostic tool

SKenn5
Beginner

HI

I have a i7-4770K CPU and the setup I have, has been working for around 4 years now with no change in hardware, but for the last couple of months my computer has been randomly crashing. I have taken out the GPU and now im just using the on board graphics to see if it was that causing the problem. I then used different memory but it still keeps crashing to the blue screen with the message WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I now think it is a processor problem, after running the intel processor diagnostic tool at least 50+ times as it keeps crashing, I get fails in the following categories: Floating Point, Math, GPUStressW and SPBC. Is there anything I can do? is it the processor or could it be something else I'm overlooking. any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sean Kennedy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SeanKennedy,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

Receiving a "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" blue screen error means that you are experiencing a hardware/software problem. As you have been doing, testing other components is recommended to rule out any hardware issue. However, keeping your system up to date is also recommended.

I would like to take a look at your system configuration. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

If possible, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic tool one more time and attach the report, too.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SKenn5
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. I have attached the files for you to take a look at.

Thanks

Sean

0 Kudos
SKenn5
Beginner

To add to what I have done about It maybe a software problem. I have 3 hard drives 2HHD and 1SSD =, I have taken out the 2 HDD and formatted the SSD and put Windows 8 on it (as this was the version I had before the free update to Windows 10) There is nothing else on the drive other than the Intel diagnostic tools and CCleaner.

Thanks again for any help

Sean

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SeanKennedy,

Are you still receiving blue screen errors after performing a clean install of Windows* 8?

If so, please attach a picture of the error message.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
SKenn5
Beginner

Yes unfortunately as you can see still the same.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SeanKennedy,

Because you already performed a clean install of the operating system, you can follow these recommendations to continue troubleshooting this issue:

Possible Causes are:

• Software problem (Windows, software application that triggers the problem, and hardware drivers).
  • Hardware problem (faulty hardware or hardware conflict).
  • Corrupted BIOS.

Since you already performed a clean install of the operating system, you can:

• Test other components (e.g memory, HDD).
  • Update hardware drivers.
  • Undo recent changes (e.g Reset BIOS settings). In this case you can clear CMOS to reset BIOS settings, but we recommend you to contact your system manufacturer to perform this step correctly.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SeanKennedy,

Were you able to test the steps provided above?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos