Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7-4790 cpu speed is stuck at 0.79GHz  part 2 electric boogaloo

Havic52
Novice

Hi everyone I back again I afraid that the issue is back again.

I ended my first post because the problem went away for a month so you know I thought I fixed it but I got clowned on when it resurfaced 2 days ago.

here's the link to my original post I pasted the body paragraph for you guys:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/i7-4790-cpu-speed-is-stuck-at-0-79GHz/m-p/1206937

I'm using an Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 and  Z97 GAMING 7 (MSI-7916)

The issue occurs randomly while surfing the web, or playing video games. It usually lasts a couple of  hours and will sometimes return to normal but recently its been lasting the entire day with maybe an hour or two when it actually works above 0.79 GHz usually at  1.41 GHz to 3.82 GHz

I've updated my drivers using MSI live update, I have checked the CPU temperature and it sits at 30c. I noticed the issue when I opened the task manager is that despite the utilization of the CPU was fluctuating between 5-20% the speed of the CPU remained a constant 0.79 GHz.

Running Intel processor diagnostic tool showed everything has passed. Even though while the tool was running the speed of the CPU didn't pass the 0.79 GHz threshold.

I haven't done any software changes recently although I installed a new ssd hard drive but the problem existed before I installed the new hard drive.

If anyone could dispense some wisdom  it would really help 

Thank You

***New Information***

I downloaded Intel driver & support assistant and it said everything is fine when it isn't fined

So please help me I just a gamer trying to game and maybe some college work from time to time.

Also, my computer makes weird sounds when I power it up but the cores temps are fine so idk anymore.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Havic52
Novice

Yeah, I just fixed it was a problem with the BD PROCHOT for some reason it kept throttling my CPU because it thought it was overheating when it wasn't so I disabled it. Then ran my CPU at 100% utilization for an hour just to make sure that my computer never reached 90-celsius the max temp it reached was 52-celsius so I don't have about have a reactor meltdown with it disabled it so yeah I'm good. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Havic52, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, based on the fact that the Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor passed the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool test, it indicates that the unit is working fine and there is no problem with it.

Sometimes there are some options in the BIOS that might restrict the performance of the Intel® Processor in order to save energy, for example, the Intel SpeedStep® Technology feature, that switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load, if you see this option in the BIOS, please make sure it is disabled.

Please check the power options in Windows*, depending on what it is set in those options also could prevent the Intel® Processor to perform at full capacity so you can always verify that.

Additionally, we recommend to run the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, in order to monitor the Processor Base Frequency:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

We can also try a BIOS update to the latest version for the board, according to MSI's web site, the latest BIOS version is 1.C from 2016, so try the BIOS update and reset the settings to default values and then test the Intel® Processor again. If you need instructions on how to do that, please get in contact directly with MSi so they can provide that information:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-7

https://us.msi.com/support

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Havic52
Novice
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Havic52, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Havic52, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Bryton
Beginner

Yeah same here my i7 8750H gets stuck constantly on 0.79Ghz, not to mention XTU says that reference clock is stuck at 100mhz. My CPU is useless at this point and it's still relatively new.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

First, you need to start a new thread.  Your processor is 4 years newer than the OPs.

Second, your H processor is not supported by XTU.  XTU only supports X and K processors.

0 Kudos
Havic52
Novice

So yeah I mean it appears nothing has changed I think it's something to do with the power supply more specifically the number of watts to the Package TDP. If there is a way to increase this manual that would be great to know. As the average watts were like 23ish watts when my CPU was working but now the average is 15watts but mostly hoovering over 8 watts when my CPU started to cap its self at 0.80 GHz. I put some screenshots of it too. So I think the CPU caps itself when the wattage drops.

0 Kudos
Havic52
Novice

Yeah, I just fixed it was a problem with the BD PROCHOT for some reason it kept throttling my CPU because it thought it was overheating when it wasn't so I disabled it. Then ran my CPU at 100% utilization for an hour just to make sure that my computer never reached 90-celsius the max temp it reached was 52-celsius so I don't have about have a reactor meltdown with it disabled it so yeah I'm good. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Havic52, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear the problem got fixed and now the Intel® Processor is not throttling and it is running under proper temperature values.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos