Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

i7-4790 cpu speed is stuck at 0.79GHz

Havic52
Novice

Hi everyone,

I'm using a Intel core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 and  Z97 GAMING 7 (MSI-7916)

The issue occurs randomly, while surfing the web, or playing video games. It usually lasts a couple of  hours and will sometimes return to normal but recently its been lasting the entire day with maybe an hour or two when it actually works above 0.79 GHz usually at  1.41 GHz to 3.82 GHz

I've updated my drivers using MSI live update, I have check the CPU temperature and it sits at 30c. I noticed issue when I opened task manager is that despite the utilization of the CPU was fluctuating between 5-20% the speed of the CPU remained a constant 0.79 GHz.

Running Intel processor diagnostic tool showed everything has pass. Even though while the tool was running the speed of the CPU didn't pass the 0.79 GHz threshold.

I haven't done any software changes recently although I installed a new ssd hard drive but the problem existed before I installed the new hard drive.

If anyone could dispense some wisdom  it would really help 

Thank You

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Fan control is a function of the motherboard bios.  Update your bios.

Also, re-apply your processor thermal paste.

0 Kudos
Havic52
Novice

I've done both now I was able to get some thermal paste from a neighbor and reapplied it. As well as made sure my bios were up to date and the issue is still occurring. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Havic52, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the issue with the Intel® Processor still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Havic52, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
@Tluli,
Start a separate conversation for your issue.
...S
0 Kudos