Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

i7 4790k 200W Power Ponsumption

CGeam1
Beginner

Hello INTEL, Hello dear comunity, i have a question: i have an intel 4790k overclocked at @4.6Ghz 1.250v paired with a cooler from Noctua, NH d14 and consumes like a monster -193.34W- is this a problem or its ok ? in heavy load test reaches the temperature of 98 degrees it requires delid ? the thermal paste is an arctic mx-4 2019, and about my case is an depcool kendomen with 2x120mm (push in) front, 2x120mm (push out) top, 1x120mm (push out) back.

You (intel) put too much technology in this processor and still do not feel the need to upgrade. Sorry for my bad eng but its enought to understand my problem. Thx for all solutions.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your motherboard model number and is the bios updated?

Doc

0 Kudos
CGeam1
Beginner

Asus tuf sabertooth mark 2 , bios version 2702 because the latest one is beta.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello CGeam1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and regarding your concerns, we would like to mention that the Processor Base Frequency for the Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor is 4.00 GHz and the Max Turbo Frequency is 4.40 GHz as shown in the Product Specifications.

Having said that, we consider the processor is running outside of the Publish specifications. Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Since the processor is operated beyond its specifications we cannot tell if it will work fine and safely and thus we do not comment on exact overclocking frequencies and we do not recommend on methods that lead to use contrary to product instructions, misuse, alteration (for instance: delid), etc since this voids the warranty and can cause damage or injury.

What we recommend is to use the processor within specifications and also using the default settings on the motherboard, as well as double-checking the proper installation of the cooler and of the Thermal Interface Material (TIM).

Also, it is important to keep in mind that overclocking will demand more energy to the processor, and thus more heat will need to be dissipated from it. The Noctua NH-D14* cooler is listed as compatible with your processor, however, it does not explain if it is suitable for overclocking since this will exceed the TDP ratings of the processor. We recommend checking with Noctua support regarding support for higher TDP and overclocking environment. Please refer to the below links as a reference*:

Finally, you may refer to overclocking forums for more suggestions from other overclocking enthusiasts, for instance, * http://www.overclockers.com/forums/

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos