Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MHess1
Beginner

i7 4790k temperature really high with no obvious cause

I have been running an i7 4790k in my system for years now. Later last year it started to get incredibly hot as soon as the work load increased. I would get low 30s to high 20s in idle but could not put it under high/full load without reaching scary high 80 to 90C temps. With Prime95 it would even reach TJmax and start to throttle.

I contacted the support (still under warranty) and they told me the cpu needed to be replaced. They sent me a used unit from the warehouse that was in "good" condition. In the tests I did right away it was running no hotter than 50C under full load.

Now, 5 months later, the replacement cpu has developed the same problem and is getting just as hot even though it was running fine when i first tested it. I have ruled out all possible causes like ventilation, cooler, thermal paste, dust, voltage, reset and updated the bios and so on. I just want to use my PC without having to fear it going up in flames all of a sudden. If anybody has some ideas about the cause if would greatly be appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi,

Is the board, fans and air inlets/outlets clean from dust?

Leon

MHess1
Beginner

yes, it is all freshy dusted

LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you check your CPU with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool? If not, please do it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Have you verified that the fan speed control programming in the BIOS hasn't been disturbed?

What exactly is "just as hot"?

...S

MHess1
Beginner

I checked the BIOS settings and just in case reset all settings to rule out any modification

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What exactly is "just as hot"?

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MHess1,

Were you able to run the tool recommended?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MHess1,

If you need further assistance, please contact us back.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation