Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7-4960x Bricked after windows 10 update

ACome1
Beginner

Hi all !

I'm here today because I'm encountering a really nasty bug with my Intel i7-4960X.

It seems that, after a recent windows 10 update, my computer won't start (issue before the POST).

The symptoms:

1. The computer powering on

2. 5s later, it's powering off

3. repeat

I've got an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition and found that it's showed the code on the PCB "00"; which stands for "CPU Issue" or "No CPU Detected"

What I've tried (with no success)

* Flash the BIOS to the lastest one available

* Switch BIOS chips

* Flashback BIOS to older versions (tried all)

* Remove all batteries and chips

* Reflash the cleared chips

* Force CMOS Clearance

* Disconnect everything else than the CPU

* Mounting it on a bench

* Replace HDD microde files with another one

* Check every component parts such as Socket PINs, Power Supply, PCB Connectors,...

In each case, still the same symptoms, nothing changed even a little bit.

I've also tried with another motherboard, same issue (CPU not detected).

I've tried with another CPU into the RAMPAGE motherboard, it's working.

So the issue here is that my CPU seems to be bricked due to this update (surely the Spectre one...) (I think, the only thing that had changed)

Never overclocked, no dangerous tunning, No surge, no overheat.

I'm kinda anoyed due to the hyper expensive price of this CPU + the fact that, with no solutions, I'll have to replace the whole computer just for one update...

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TheBurn

Thank you for joining the community.

We are looking into the situation in the meantime please provide us with the following information:

Cloud you provide us with the hardware information? (RAM model, HHD model, Power supply)

What is the model of the other motherboard and processor you used during your test?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ACome1
Beginner

Hello There !

Sorry for the delay.

Here are more details :

* RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz C9 4x 8gb

* HHD : Samsung 840 Pro 250Gb SSD + Seagate 3Tb

* PSU : BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 650W

* GPU : Asus NVidia GTX 780

* MB : ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition

* CPU : Intel i7 4960X

During the test, I've used as board and processor : ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and Intel i7 3930K.

-The 4960X Doesn't boot when placed into the Rampage Extreme

-The Rampage BE boots with the 3930K

-No more BIOS updates available with the Rampage BE so I can't reset the 4960X microcode from the faulty Windows 10 Spectre/Meltdown update.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Arnaud

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TheBurn

Thank you for your response and for the information.

Please review your private inbox.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Mskor1
Beginner

Hey Burn the exact same thing happened to my LGA 1150 i7 4790k recently did an install everything went well. I then did a patch update and then when after it posted, windows update my Computer shut off. My CPU went poof. Dead CPU:(

I got my old i3 out and did a fresh install. Right at the same point after install and updating (getting things ready) POOF there goes my second CPU. Both CPU's wont post and it just endlessly cycles on and off. I have other motherboards to confirm that the CPU is dead.

I got my Motherboard approved for RMA and getting ready to send it out this week I explained to them what is happening and at what point. Seems that the update is conflicting with the Motherboard causing this. I am wondering with the new CPU security update has something to do with it causing some Motherboards to react this way. My Board is a gigabyte Black edition.

I currently have my i5 in my board running windows 10 but I have stopped the update so this one doesn't go poof.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is interesting that both of the processors here, the 4690 and 4790, are Haswell Refresh processors, if I am not mistaken.

I am wondering if the problem starts with these.

Just an observation.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TheBurn and Insertbackspace

Thank for waiting, cloud you please review your private inbox.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TheBurn and Insertbackspace

I was checking your case and would like to know if you have reviewed the information in your provide inbox

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos