Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i7 6700K RAM compatibility

FreierWind
Beginner

Hello,

a few years agor I compiled my PC with the Core i7 6700K,  Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 and 2x16 GB of RAM (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT).

Now for my VFX study I want to double the RAM. I haven't found the same RAM again, so I bought a single module of 32 GB (Crucial RAM CT32G4DFD832A).

But after that I noticed my CPU or mainboard may not be able to detect a RAM module of that size, cause afaik they have not been constructed that time. Also the mainboard only seizes 64 GB altogether, so from that time's perspective there's no need to insert a RAM module of 32 GB.
So I would like to keep this RAM, but I don't know if it's compatible with my system. And I would like to make sure before setting it in, so I may return it.

Can you tell me, if this RAM works?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You must check with asrock to see what is compatible with their board:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K4/#Memory

And, you can see the memory specifications here:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K4/#Specification

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
FreierWind
Beginner

Thanks, I didn't know the first link.

Since there are no RAM modules listed with more than 16 GB I guess I have to return the RAM I planned to use.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would check with asrock.  Perhaps a bios update may be available, or maybe they can recommend a module manufacturer.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
FreierWind
Beginner

Thanks, I will ask them.

So if the mainboard is compatible with that RAM, can you tell for sure the CPU also is?

Here Intel specifies the max memory bandwith as 34.1 GB. I don't know if this means a single module or a RAM channel, so I would like to make sure about that.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello FreierWind

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In this case, the Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor supports up to 64 GB (Memory Size) and 34.1 GB/s (Memory Bandwidth) in any module combination (1 module, 2 modules, 3 modules, 4 modules).

However, what you should check with the processor is the supported speed to confirm that the CPU is going to be compatible with the RAM. Your Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor supports DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V, if the RAM runs above that speed the CPU can get damaged.

My recommendation is to check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm the module combination supported as well as the speed and make sure that the RAM used is running at the CPU-supported speed.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos