Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

i7 6700k overheating at 100°C

RRasm1
Beginner

I recently got an i7 6700k and installed it into my computer, however it runs idle at 35 degrees Celsius and goes to 100 degrees Celsius in under 3 seconds whenever i run a stress test. It is sitting around 95 degrees Celsius whenever im running anything that takes up CPU and it sits around 50 degrees Celsius when im watching YouTube videos. I have tested with multiple stress test, both the one from the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and the one from Prime95, both skyrocketing the CPU temperature. I have used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and HWMonitor to check my temperatures, both saying all cores at a constant 100 degrees Celsius and package at 100 degrees Celsius as well. My CPU instantly starts throttling whenever i run a stress test. I have reapplied new thermal paste and remounted the CPU multiple times as well as remounting my CPU cooler multiple times. The air that goes through the radiator for my CPU watercooler is cold (lower than room temperature or at least feels so) and the pipes are cold as well. Corsair Link is reporting the liquid to be around 25 degrees Celsius when the CPU is idle and 31 degrees Celsius when the CPU is at 100 degrees Celsius. I can clearly feel the back of my motherboard just behind my CPU going from slightly warm to me not being able to touch it for more than a second or two whenever i run anything CPU intensive, especially stress tests where its a matter of mere seconds.

All my BIOS setting are at default, my BIOS is updated to the newest version and there are no profiles active in the BIOS.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700k @4.00 Ghz, 4.20 Ghz Turbo

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i v2 liquid cooler

RAM: 16 GBs Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133 Mhz DDR4

GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070

PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W

Case: Fractal Design Define r5 with 2 case fans

I will look into getting a replacement if needed, but if this can be solved without replacing the CPU, i will be overly happy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ssote
New Contributor II

Check the cooling mounting and if the pump is running. There should be one warm hose.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ssote
New Contributor II

Check the cooling mounting and if the pump is running. There should be one warm hose.

0 Kudos
RRasm1
Beginner

I posted this on tomshardware as well, and i found out it is the mounting of my cooler. I ran a stress test and watched my temps jump to 100 degrees, then pushed the cooler down and watched it go down to a stable 55. I mark this as solved.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you wingman99 for helping with this information, iBoughtWinrar I hope you can have a better experience with your system now that this issue has been resolved.

Thank you for helping each other on the Intel community; this is what the community is for.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos