Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

i7 6700k performing lower than low (bottom of benchmark)

mpurm
Beginner

Hello,

Admittedly I don't know much about CPU speeds etc, though I have perhaps above general knowledge how to fix this or that. last year I built my PC for the first time and I did not expect to turn it successfully on for the first time and it worked. Even when new though I did not feel that the hardware is giving me the impressive results I expected. I experienced some slow down to the point I looked into diagnostics tools. What I found out was that my Intel Core i7-6700K is performing worse almost than with everybody. Based on Performance Test My CPU score is 2089 with the level value 2080. Optimally 11840 or higher.

I uploaded a bunch of test to https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzWsuGkUzC3FXzJ4OGU2YjRVd3c google drive including test from Lightroom where I HDR merged 5 images to one HDR, 3 HDR processes at the time. You can see that the CPU utilization was at 100% couple of times.

I have checked the CPU temperature in the past, and now again, but seems like it maxes at 32C. I did just update BIOS.

I do think somewhere I messed up seeing the results of the tests, given I am lower than low. YOu can see it on the screenshot from the Intel Extreme Tuning utility. The computer is slow even when browsing, editing images, videos, etc. (Adobe suite is my main activity on this PC).

Based on the test all seems adequate, but clearly, the CPU is the problem. I have downloaded SpeedFan, CoreTemp, OpenHardware monitor, Intel Exteme Tuning Utility , performance test... and many with some benchmark option tell me that I am at the border of the low, if not THE border of low.

I was thinking about buying a new cooler, though seeing the temperatures I don't think this is the answer.

Any idea where I messed up? What could be the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My first suggestion would be to not just look at results for your processor but to look for results for your board when using this processor. How the board implements support for power provision, etc. and how the board's BIOS configures the processor (and chipset) can make a significant difference in the overall performance. Similarly, what memory you are using, how it is configured - and how compatible this memory is with your board and its BIOS - can make significant differences in performance.

...S

0 Kudos