Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i7 6700k running hot

AAnt
Beginner

Hi, my new i7 6700k is running very hot.

System:

Asus z170 pro gaming mobo

nvidia 970

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 fan

16 gb ddr4 ram.

It can idle around 70 C and even simple tasks can raise it up to 90C plus. I have checked the fit of the fan and application of thermal paste. Any ideas gratefully received

Many thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AntCrook,

Let's check the health status of your processor by running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool which you can find here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. This tool will help to diagnostic the status of your processor, once done attach the report. To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

What is the current BIOS version installed?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AAnt
Beginner

Hi ,

thanks for getting back to me, please see attached report. Apparently my BIOS version is 2003 x64

Many thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the file. From results, your processor seems healthy since all the tests were passed successfully; however, let's check a couple things just to make sure that everything is OK.

What tool are you using to check the temperatures of your processor?

What specific tasks are you running?

In the meantime try the following suggestions;

Install the chipset and the Intel Management Engine Interface driver from your computer manufacturer site, https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ Z170 PRO GAMING | Motherboards | ASUS Global.

Load the default settings in your BIOS configuration.

Downgrade the current BIOS version installed.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AAnt
Beginner

Thanks for that.

To answer your questions;

- I'm using CPUID HW Monitor to check the temperatures.

- I've mainly been updating drivers, antivirus updates/scans, searching the internet and downloading programs; so not very demanding applications. I did try to run the Witcher3 to see what would happen- it crashed after about 10 mins and I saw the CPU had got up to around 105°C.

I have installed the chipset and the Intel Management Engine Interface driver, and changed the BIOS to default as recommended, which don't appear to have changed anything. Sorry, I don't know how to downgrade the BIOS.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a CPU water cooler but suspect this will only mask the issue, not fix it.

Thanks

Ant

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for all the information.

I believe that the water solution would be a good idea since your processor seems healthy. I have seen other scenarios where the cooling solution actually makes the difference.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

AntCrook, I am following up your thread. I wanted to check if the information posted before helped, and to let you know that if you need further assistance just let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AAnt
Beginner

Hi,

yes your suggestions do seem to have helped; it now runs at about 80C which is certainly an improvement. I have taken your recommendation and have ordered a water cooler but haven't had chance to fit it yet. Hopefully this will bring the temperature down some more.

Many thanks for your help.

Ant

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is really good to hear! Let me know when you get the water cooler.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos