Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

i7-6700k - won't boot into nearly anything, CPU frequency abnormally high despite stock settings

AZuga
Beginner

Specs:

• i7 6700k (currently stock)
  • MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC*
  • Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 (2x8GB)
  • ASUS GTX 970 Turbo

* Swapped in, originally was using an ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/AC

Hey all,I'm running into an issue where my PC is getting stuck when booting anything.

If I try to boot into Windows, it gets stuck at "Preparing Automatic Repair", either constantly rebooting or just hanging, no loading indicator.

If I try to boot from a Windows 10 install USB, it gets similarly stuck at the Windows logo screen, no loading indicator.Even booting into a Gparted live USB fails, unless I run in failsafe mode.

Things I've tried to no avail:

• Running with just one stick of RAM (tried both)
  • Running without the GPU
  • Updating/Resetting BIOS
  • Running with no USBs connected
  • Researching pretty much everything I could find about "Preparing Automatic Repair" freezing, etc.

I've run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (the bootable version) and it freezes on the Floating Point Test, results attached. This is where I realized that apparently it is attempting to run a whole 1.3GHz higher than is set in BIOS (ie. stock).

I've also run Memtest86, but the computer reboots partway through the test, which seems to indicate a CPU issue to me.

Any ideas of what could be the issue?

Message was edited by: Adrian Zugaj

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Drat333,

Thank you for joining our Intel® community; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

Based on the description of the issue and the report that you sent, I would like to ask; how long ago did the issue start?

According to the troubleshooting done, it all points to the CPU/Motherboard to be the culprit of the hardware issue.

Is there a chance for you to test a different Processor into your current motherboard and the see if that one is being over-clocked by the system?

Or can you test the CPU with your previous ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/AC and see if you have boot issues?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

Intel (R) Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
AZuga
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your response!

This all started on Thursday, Oct 25th. Was just watching Twitch (no games, nothing) when my computer hard froze. Forced power off, and resumed watching Twitch. Computer froze again within 5 mins. On the next boot, it froze before I could even open the browser. After that point, it would no longer boot into Windows at all, and here I am.

Unfortunately I don't have access to another compatible processor to test with.

I had already tested/troubleshooted this issue with the ASRock board when it first began. The ASRock board was the original motherboard in my build when this problem began, and I purchased the MSI board thinking that the problem was with the ASRock board. When I saw the problem persisted on the new board, I realized that it has to be a problem with the CPU, as odd as it seems to me.

- Drat333

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There have been multiple issues reported wherein the BIOS in 3rd-party motherboards has been setting the processor voltage to too high a level. Please look into what these motherboards are doing with voltage before unduly blaming the processor. If it truly is the processor, you will see similar issues while in BIOS Setup.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drat333,

Thank you for your response.

Based on the description of your case, and the fact that you have tested two motherboards, the situation might point the processor to be part of the problem, however, there are other things to consider that currently could be the actual cause of the behavior that you are experiencing.

1. Memory modules
A not compatible memory/wrong voltage memory can cause the processor to either over or under clock the actual CPU.

Is there a chance for you to test a different memory other that the ones that you already tested?

We recommend performing the test only with the integrated GPU (no discrete card)
  1. Defective power supply
A defective power supply can actually modify the readings of the CPU as the power will not be consistent.

Have you tested multiple PSUs?
  1. Different HDD/SSD
According to the behavior of the machine (boot problems) I strongly suggest you to test a different hard drive and perform a clean OS installation from zero.

A defective hard drive may show these type of symptoms when booting.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
AZuga
Beginner

Hi Diego,

I have new findings.

First of all, I was able to fully run the IPDT on the ASRock board - results attached.

Second of all, I discovered that Memtest86 has an option to run the memory test with different CPU core configurations - in parallel, or in single core mode (with a specific core).

When running Memtest86 in parallel mode, it freezes at 16% of the first test.

I then tested each core individually.

Core 1 - Ran fine

Core 2 - Ran fine

Core 3 - Froze immediately

Core 4 - Ran fine

Then, I tried booting into Windows again, this time with cores disabled.

Running with:

1 Core - Booted into Windows

2 Cores - Booted into Windows

3 Cores - Froze on motherboard splash logo

4 Cores - Froze on motherboard splash logo

I reran all these tests a second time, same results.

Clearly, there's an issue with the third core of the CPU, and there's no way I'm gonna be able to work normally with only two cores available.

If there's any other CPU-specific tests I can run to further confirm this is the issue, I'd be happy to.

Regarding your previous reply:

1. I don't have other DRAM kits to test with, but the issue was reproducible with both sticks of the kit I have.

2. I don't have a spare PSU to test with.

3. The HDD/SSD clearly is not the issue, seeing as I can boot into Windows with 2 cores, and how I previously could not boot even into a Windows Installation USB.

Drat333

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Thomas_Ng,

Thank you for your response.

Based on the test and the results that you got, testing a different processor is critical to isolate the issue, as you already tested 2 boards and now the tests show a failure on one of your cores.

If you do not have a spare processor to work with, a replacement for your unit might be the next step.

If the unit is under warranty, you can contact our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @2 live support to create an RMA.

In order to check the warranty status you can use our https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo warranty center, you just need to type the markings of the unit.

If experience problems finding the markings of your unit, you can go ahead and use the following https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005609/processors.html link as a reference

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Thomas_Ng,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos