Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

i7-6850 CPU Frequency test failed, too low

DNils1
Beginner

Hi,

I'd like some help with a problem I recently noticed after downloading the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool. I ran the tests and noticed that everything passed but CPU frequency, and that it's lower than it should be.

Here's my log:

--- CPU Frequency Test ---

Version 1.0.19.64b.W

Expected CPU Frequency is -- 3.60

Detected CPU Frequency is -- 3.2

Expected Base Clock -- 100 MHz

Detected Base Clock -- 100 MHz

CPU Frequency Test Failed

CPUFreq Fail

Return Status 1

Is this something I should be worried about? I haven't had any noticable great problems, but it's still worrying. When I go into System in the control panel it even show the full name of my processor @ 3.6 GHz and then shows 3.2 GHz afterwards.

My specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-6850K Processor 3.6 GHz

Corsair DDR4 64GB 3000MHz CL 15

AORUS GeForce GTX 1080

Let me know if there's any more information that's needed.

Edit: Sorry for being so hasty in creating this thread. I've found the solution on my own, some clarification would be nice however.

First off. I am using a ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard. I went into BIOS thinking I could check a few options and found out that the "AI tweaker" had the target CPU requency at 3200 Hz. I tried changing the settings and restarting, but it didn't work. I don't usually overclock so I didn't want to change anything I didn't feel like I knew about. So I ran the "EZ tuner", and figured I could simply load default setting. Mind you, due to some complications with ordering the parts for this computer, I had the store I bought it from assemble the computer and make sure it ran, not sure if they've changed anything in the BIOS. Anyway, running the EZ tuner promised increased performance. I fiddled around with the settings and finally managed to get it to work correctly. It now overclocks ever so slightly and the tests pass, frequency being at around 4.1 GHz.

Long story short, I solved the problem. Not entirely sure what caused it, other than my suspicions lying on my MBs "AI tweaker" or the company that assembled the computer.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Reaper93

Thank you for joining the community we are glad to know that that you have found a solution for the situation, for the performance that you have reported of 4.1 GHz there may be a specific setting that is allowing the processor overclocking which can damage de processor at some point. In these case, we recommend contacting the motherboard manufacturer, in your case ASUS* to configure the BIOS settings to obtain good performance without overclocking the unit

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos