Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

i7 6850K Windows 11 Support

grappler119
Beginner

Anyone know why the i7 6850K is not supported for Windows 11?  It easily meets the minimum requirements of at least 2 cores, 1.0 GHz and 64-bit capable.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is not supported by Windows 11 because Microsoft says so.   And, meeting the "minimum" requirements you have listed is not all of the minimum requirements.

You need to examine MICROSOFT's supported processor list for W11:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Do not worry.  There is nothing in W11 you need anyway.  And, W10 will be supported until 2025.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
grappler119
Beginner

Thanks.  Already had the list.   Just wondering why the processor in questions wasn't verified for use on Windows 11. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just to let you know, you can still run W11 if you want, but at a risk.

First, the risk:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-windows-11-on-devices-that-don-t-meet-minimum-system-requirements-0b2dc4a2-5933-4ad4-9c09-ef0a331518f1

Second, how to do it:

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-back-off-requirements-windows-11

Now, your "minimum requirements" that you stated are incorrect.  Features, like these are required:

And, not all 7th gen processors are supported.  Widely suspected, Microsoft, after creating their list, found that they needed some 7th gen processors to support their laptops on W11.  Go figure.

So, run W11 if you want.  But, be prepared for the worst and for Microsoft to pull the plug on you when they want.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
grappler119
Beginner

TPM 2.0 support is not necessarily a processor "minimum requirement" but MoBo and is being satisfied. Question is processor.   From what Microsoft told me Intel didn't get the processor tested for Windows 11 and therefore Microsoft cannot verify it is compatible. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Who are you communicating with at Microsoft?  And, what is your point?  W11 has been out for 9+ months now.  Microsoft created and maintains the list.  TPM 2.0 is in all intel processors back to 5th gen.  Yes, you can get a board with a TPM 2.0 module, but that is not the point.

Microsoft cannot verify it is compatible?  Rubbish.

Again, it is Microsoft's list.   Complain to them.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
grappler119
Beginner

Per the Microsoft tech support (I don't remember the name) it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to test a device's comparability and submit the the results to Microsoft for inclusion in the list of compatible devices.

My point is that was there a clear decision from Intel to not test and submit i7 processor for inclusion, why?

So, yes, I did complain to them.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@grappler119 What was Intel supposed to "test" for?  Intel has a database of all the processors that contains their features and capabilities.  So, would you have anyone believe that Intel, with a pre-release version of W11, had a guy sit in the lab and try processors until they passed or failed some test?   If you do believe that is what occured with your mis-guided understanding, it is not a wonder that Microsoft was so easily able to mislead you.

Microsoft made the decision on their list and what it contains.

Now, who do you think created the registry hack to run W11 for unsupported processors?  Clue: Initials are MS.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, these were NOT Intel's decisions. Microsoft drew the (8th gen) line in the sand based upon VBS support. Microsoft chose to only validate and support those 7th gen processors that they used in their own devices.

...S

0 Kudos
grappler119
Beginner

I am only going off of what I was told by Microsoft tech support told me.  Don't need to be attack by all the intel fanboys.  You can all f off I'm out.

0 Kudos
grappler119
Beginner

Delete my profile.  I'm a AMD man from here on out!!!!!!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

AMD?   Good, here is their list of W11 supported processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

Perhaps you can explain the AMD list better than the Intel list.  No, wait - the AMD list comes from Microsoft as well.

Maybe you are just a Microsoft schill.

Next time, get your information straight.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos