Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i7-7500U drops to 0.38 GHz at random times when a program is active

GQues
Beginner

Hello

I bought this computer on january and since then, it´s having problems with frame drops. at first, i though it was the graphic tarjet that is not a bad one but is not considered great (its a radeon R7) but then i began to monitor what happened in the performance bar and i saw that the when the frames drops, the frecuency of the processors also drops at 0.38 GHz and its very annoying it's not a temperature problem i checked and on idle, the pc is normally in 35-40 °C and when it has heavy programms running, it goes to 50-60 °C.

So here i am, asking for help

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This means that something else is causing the processor to be throttled. In my experience, there are two causes; either the BIOS, typically via its ACPI tables, is specifying criteria for when this throttling should occur or some external entity is asserting the PROCHOT signal to the processor. You need to be talking to your board manufacturer regarding what they have done that could cause this.

...S

0 Kudos
GQues
Beginner

Hello friend and thank you for replying

I´m afraid i'm no computer technician or such so if you could simplify, i'd be very grateful

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Translation: This type of issue is usually caused by the motherboard (and usually its BIOS). Contact the manufacturer of this motherboard (or system if its a laptop) and ask them to help you resolve this issue. Tell them that something on the motherboard (or in its BIOS) is causing processor throttling.

...S

0 Kudos
GQues
Beginner

Hi, you were right, it was the BIOS that was causing problems, updated the BIOS and problem solved.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just updated the BIOS? No changes in BIOS settings?

0 Kudos
GQues
Beginner

It was working fine at first but then it begin to decrease it's performance until it got the same as it was before. What would you advise to change in the BIOS?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, without the system sitting in front of me, I have no idea how they have exposed their BIOS configuration. Look for a scene with parameters related to power and take a picture of the settings scene and post it here. Alternatively, you could call the board/system vendor and ask them where it is configured.

...S

0 Kudos
GQues
Beginner

Parameters related to power.. do you mean voltage, amperes input?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Could be. There should be some parameters specifying limits.

...S

0 Kudos
GQues
Beginner

I got a crappy camera but its readeble

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is on the chassis. I am talking about parameters within the BIOS. Power up the system and use whatever key is necessary (F2, ESC, etc.) to enter BIOS Setup. Then look for parameters related to power. If this isn't something that you can handle yourself, call the manufacturer and ask for their help.

...S

0 Kudos
WpMeBack
Beginner

I have the same situation with the same cpu

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@WpMeBack,

While they may seem similar, every user's issues are different. You have different hardware, different driver mix, different installation order, etc. In addition, Intel Customer Support wants to track each user's issue separately to completion. They can't do that if you are a rider on someone else's issue. Please open your own conversation for your issue (using the Post a Message button on the main (root) Intel Community page). Please include a full description of your issue, the model of your laptop, etc. in your post.

If you want to save time, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select all data categories, generate the report and then have the tool Save the report to a file. Don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work. Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos