Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

i7 7500u @2.7 GHz - high temperature (>90°C) for longer periods

AEdig
Beginner

Dear Intel Community,

I purchased a pre-owned DELL XPS 9360 with Intel i7 7500u.

I found it was getting quite hot, so I installed the Intel Power Gadet 3.5 to monitor what is going on.

At idle or light tasks (e.g. while writing this question plus Spotify), Package Temp is between 58°C and 63°C which I believe is fine. Package Frq toggles between 1 GHz and 2.7 GHz. Fan is OFF.

However when I do some heavy tasks (e.g. training some artifical neural networks in Python) Packege Frq0 goes to constantly 3.5 Ghz and temperature moves between 92°C and 99°C.

I am wondering if this harmful to the CPU (especially if the heavy task persists for multiple hours). Fan seems to run at max. speed.

Is this normal or should I worry?

Do you recommend to throttle processor speed to avoid temperature >90°C? If yes, how?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jim

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JimPanse87,

I understand that you are getting high temperatures when running heavy applications.

Regarding this, I would like to mention that the processor in question has a Tjunction temperature of 100C, this means that as long as the processor works under 100C there should not be any problem.

Also, I would like to mention that, in order to check the temperature, we have a different tool called Intel ® Processor Diagnostic Tool. This tool, not only checks the temperature, but also checks the integrity of the processor to make sure there is no problem. I would like you to check the temperature with it by running a diagnostic, you can get it from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Also, another tool you can use to run stress test and check the temperature when in use is the Intel ® Extreme Tuning Utility, which you can download from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

Please run diagnostics and stress test and let me know the maximum temperature reported. Something else that could be affecting the temperature is that the fans could be failing or not working as intended, this is something that Dell* would be able to check for you and configure according to the needs.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AEdig
Beginner

Hi David,

thanks for the reply. I did run the diagnostics tool. Highest temperature was 99°C (CPU Temperature Monitor Window turned red...).

However I did the following (as suggested in many internet posts about the DELL XPS 13):

I opened up the laptop, removed the heatsink, removed the thermal compound, cleaned the cpu's "thermal area" and the heat-sink. Then applied thermal compound again (Arctic MX-4), re-installed the heat sind and applied some thermal pads (1.5mm thick) at the heat sink and the heat pipe so that they connect with the case.

Now, idle temperature is at the mid/high 40°C. At high load, temperature is hovering between 83°and 90° with the fan running at low revolutions (barely audible).

In my mind, that's a big improvement and an unfortunate design (by DELL) as other customers seem to have the same issue.

Rerunning the Intel Diagnostics Tool, highest temperature is 89° (with fan basically off).

I hope this will last and I consider this issue as fixed.

Thanks again,

Jim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JimPanse87,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide the feedback of the steps you have followed. Since the temperature went down then it means that the steps you followed helped it. I am really glad to know that it is now working and would like to mention that if you need any more help from Intel ® you can reply and we will assist you further.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AOles1
Beginner

Hello, the temperature of the processor i7-7500u in the game 75 ° C is normal? Or should I change the thermal paste?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Aleksoles,

Thank you for your response.

The temperature you mention is fine, this is because the processor is loaded when running a game, and 75 C is low compared to the Tjunction temperature which is 100C. There should not be any problem if it is running at that temperature.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos