АБаца
Beginner

Why is my processor i7-7700 not overclocked to 4.2 GHz

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SkyDragon,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community.

This processors has a Max Turbo Frequency which is 4.2 GHz, I noticed that you are aware of this. But, I would like to let you know that this frequency is not overclockable in fact the Max Turbo Frequency refers to the maximum single-core processor frequency that can be achieved with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. This feature is automatic and it will be reached whenever the processors needs it. See www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/ for more information.

Make sure to enable the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and the Intel SpeedStep® Technology in your BIOS configuration for the proper use.

Regards,

Amy C.

АБаца
Beginner

When I ran a stress test for the processor, it still kept the frequency 4.00 Ghz Why ?

Can it reach the frequency 4.2 only in games? or professional tasks?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/121718 SkyDragon,

Just to double check, did you follow the suggestions about the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and the Intel SpeedStep® Technology in your BIOS configuration?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
АБаца
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is the issue still present?

Regards,

Amy C.
0 Kudos
АБаца
Beginner

Yea

I do not understand why it can not take the declared frequencies, since it is indicated that it should be given in the turbo boost 4.2 GHz.

I conducted tests in the AIDA 64 program, it still gives out 4 GHz in the maximal load.

Turbo boost and intel Speedstep, I turned on

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am to hear that.

/thread/121718 SkyDragon, for testing purposes can you disable the Intel SpeedStep® Technology and try one more time.

Make sure you are running the latest BIOS, and I also recommend to check with the computer manufacturer of the motherboard if there are any setting in the BIOS that can affect the frequency.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
АБаца
Beginner

I turned SpeedStep off and the frequency dropped to 3.58GHz

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for following the suggestion.

Remember what was mentioned before, the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology feature is automatic and it will be reached whenever the processor needs it. Frequency can be reached under certain circumstances, and once its reached it can last the time that the processor needs it. As a last option try to check with your computer manufacturer if there is a setting in the BIOS that can interact with this frequency.

More information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos