Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

i7 7700HQ thermal throttling - should i accept it and temps around 97 degrees?

KMaj
Beginner

Hello

For some time I've been struggling with the CPU overheating problems in my ASUS Zephyrus.

Temperatures reach 97 degrees, while from 90 degrees there is always thermal throttling.

So a question from me directly to Intel's administration / technical support.

Should thermal throttling occur and is it acceptable? In my opinion, almost 100 degrees on the processor can cause permanent damage to the components.

I am not interested in undervoltage or a cooling pad, I think that a computer for $ 3,000 unboxed straight from the box should not suffer so serious overheating.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I'm not Intel (well, not anymore; I am retired), but I will give you my opinion - No, temperatures should not be reaching this level. Yes, damage can occur (thermal degradation that will shorten the lifetime of your processor). I would consider this to be a serious design flaw in the system that you purchased. Tell Asus to fix it or give you your money back.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
KMaj
Beginner

Thank you for the quick reply. Your opinion coincides with mine.

However, I would have the confirmation from the Intel team that I could show to Asus Poland. Let us not fool ourselves, when I gave the computer to repair they (ASUS) told me that my ASUS Zephrus passed their tests and the processor has the right to have such temperatures because it is in the manufacturer's specification. When I asked to prove this somehow by sharing these specs, I was told that they can not. Moslty im worries about thermal throttling, not about temps, because i know that thermal throttling is some kind of last end procesor protection before burning. Therefore, I wanted to use the words of an Intel employee clearly in order to fight with Asus Poland, because I have a deep feeling that they are trying to rob me.

I asked for a refund or replacement for a new gaming laptop, but they write that everything works for them and that there is no problem ...

0 Kudos
KMaj
Beginner

UPDATE 2:

I received my ASUS Zephyrus today. And simply they didnt fix it. ASUS Poland Technical Support said that they found nothing, so if their said that:

ASUS, checking your device, did not find any irregularities related to the operation of the device, the equipment reported by you is fully functional.

Well.. I dont know how to fight with them. Any suggestions?

Even INTEL said that thermal throttling is not normal, it shouldnt happens offen.

0 Kudos
KMaj
Beginner

*refresh*

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure what you are looking for. We've already said it. If the processor ever throttles performance, then there is something wrong. If you are seeing throttling, go back to them and say fix it or replace it.

...S

0 Kudos
KMaj
Beginner

Well. I send my unit to Asus again and... they said that they found no problems with my laptop. As they said my Zephyrus pass all of their tests.

Im thinking about to go to court with it. But I need some help with it, and some answer from direct Intel worker could work as some kind of proof that they are wrong. For them thermal throttling is okay.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I doubt you will get it. Intel normally does not respond favorably to such requests.

Thermal throttling is an indication that the processor cooling system supplied is either misconfigured, not working properly or simply inadequate. Regardless of which, its their problem to fix. Likely the issue here is that they are not running a test that causes throttling. You need to very carefully show them that this is occurring and how you get it to reproduce.

...S

0 Kudos
KMaj
Beginner

But question is... How to prove them (and in court of it happens) that thermal throttling is bad.

It was create to protect procesor for deadly temps, and logic says that if it happens offen, procesor will be damaged.

But how to prove that throttling as a single process is bad?

Because Acer says that it doesnt.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Again, all I can say is that, as far as I am concerned, if it ever throttles, then the cooling design is broken. If you have to actually prove it, then there is something disturbingly wrong with their customer orientation (not to mention their customer support).

In this day and age, customer orientation is out the window anyway. Of course, if I apply my expectations absolutely, I might never purchase anything. Most of the OEMs (Dell is the absolute worst (pitiful products) and Acer is not much better) the and ODMs (MSI and Gigabyte are awful (but, IMHO, their products are absolute crap anyway) and Asus is not much better (they make better products but provide just as awful support)) don't give a d@mn what their customers think.

My current laptop is an Acer. It lost an entire column of pixels only two days after their (crappy to start with) 1-year warranty ran out. They will *never* get my business again.

No one should ever purchase anything that doesn't come with at least an unconditional 3-year warranty.

Climbing down off my soapbox now...

...S

0 Kudos
KMaj
Beginner

Today my lawyer got a reply from ASUS Polska. Asus stated that:

According to the knowledge possessed by Asus Polska, Thermal Throttling is a standard mechanism protecting against overheating, implemented in the Intel manufacturer's systems, causing a reduction in the "frequency of device operation", its power, which directly affects the operating temperature of the device.

Due to the different operating conditions of devices, Thermal Throttling should be considered as a processor feature, enabling the system (device) to work at the temperature level allowed by the manufacturer, therefore Thermal Throttling can not be considered as a defect, but as thermal protection.

Please be advised that the integrated circuit manufacturer (Intel) presents in its specification the maximum permitted operating temperature, which is 100 degrees Celsius. This is a base value, the exceeding of which would indicate a malfunction of the cooling system. Your ammount detected was maximum 94 degrees.

Should I go to court?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have given my opinion already but will do so again. Thermal Throttling is a mechanism provided in the processor to protect the processor from abnormal temperatures that would otherwise cause damage to the processor. It is not intended to be used as a method of managing temperature in normal operation. System vendors that rely this feature mostly do so to avoid the cost of having to provide an adequate cooling solution.

As I have said, I am not Intel - and I rather doubt that Intel will provide you with an opinion. You are on your own here...

...S

0 Kudos