Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7-7700HQ vs i7-8850U

SSaad
Beginner

Hello all, I'm looking for new laptop and trying to decide with processor to go with between 7th gen core i7 or 8th gen core i7. I'm planning to install and run virtual machines and software development tools. However, that's not the primary use of this laptop. It will be an all purpose laptop. Is one better than the other?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello saadis,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community.

I can help you to check the differences between these two processors and based on that you could make the decision in which is better for your needs. Find the comparison here: https://ark.intel.com/compare/97185,122589 Intel® Product Specification Comparison. One more thing I would like to recommend, is to check the requirements of the apps you will be using, that research can make the decision easier for you because it will indicate which processor suits the best for those apps.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SSaad
Beginner

Hi Amy, I have already looked at the comparison. I'm looking for more "hands on" answer to this. I also had a chat with Intel support and the HQ processor will run VMs better but does that mean the new processor will run VM noticeably worst? I'm wondering if anyone has done any benchmarks on this. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/119568 saadis, if you look at the "Advanced Technologies" in the comparison link, you can check that those technologies are present in both processors, especially the Virtualization Technologies, so from my perspective the performance should be about the same. You could try https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End for more feedback on benchmarks.

Hope you can get more information from those peers.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SSaad
Beginner
0 Kudos
SSaad
Beginner

looks like there is a thread about it already

0 Kudos