Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i7-7700K 100°C

aveli
Beginner

Hello,

I bought i7-7700K few day ago and I have a problem with high temperatures. When I use my PC for 3D rendering (maximum CPU usege) temperature is rising and after a few minutes all 4 cores has 100°C. I use Corsair H45 (liquid cooling).

Do you think I can claim for replacement or it is normal? Can I safely use it even with 100°C (I am usualy rendering few hours daily, so it will have this temperatue for hours every day) ?

Thanks for any advice

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you truly exhausted all of the other possibilities? Are you sure that the heatsink is properly attached to the processor and that the TIM is applied correctly and sufficiently? Have you checked to see whether the fan in the cooling unit is properly speeding up as the temperature is increasing - that is, that the board's fan speed control programming is working properly and that the fan in the unit is connected to the correct fan header?

0 Kudos
aveli
Beginner

fan and cooling is ok, but if heatsink is properly attached or TIM correctly applied - I do not know.

Company that sold me that PC also made all installations.

Does it mean that 100°C is wrong and I can claim replacement from company who sold and put together me that PC?

(sorry for my english, hope you understand)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, it should *never* reach anywhere near 100c. They have done something wrong. Take it back to them and have them make it right.

0 Kudos
aveli
Beginner

I will do it. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No problem. Don't let them bully you; it is their problem to fix. They will try to blame this on the processor but this is nothing but F.U.D. on their part.

...S

0 Kudos
aveli
Beginner

I asked for fix, it tooks more than two weeks and they only updated bios and undervolted processor... Yes it is better, but now temprature in my room is low (autumn) and with water cooling it still has around 80°C while processor is used. Is it normal?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your processor is perfectly fine operating at 80c continuously. Just to be sure, run something (like Prime95) that really stresses the processor. If the temperatures don't go above, say, 85c, then you are good to go.

...S

0 Kudos
aveli
Beginner

thank you much for your help, I made stress test today (few hour on 100%) and maximum temperature was 81°C.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's exactly what you want to see. It tells you that your cooling solution (including fan speed control programming) is configured and operating optimally.

...S

0 Kudos