ADeLa3
Beginner

My spec is the following:

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270P

CPU: i7 7700k

Memories: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 2x8GB

Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

GPU: Asus Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB GDDR5

My processor is reaching tempreatures between 75 and 80 degrees while playing games like "Battlefield 1", "For Honor", "Conan Exiles" or "Fifa 17" (all in ultra quality), and processor load is always under 70%.

Are these temperartures normal in this processor? Is my processor going to have a regular duration?

By the way, I already ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed all the tests.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AlexDeLarge:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

First of all, I just wanted to let you know that we are currently doing a research in regard to the temperature behavior on the Intel® i7-7700K processor.

The problem that most of the peers are reporting is related to temperature spiking, for example jumping from 35 °C to 80 °C.

Here is the thread related to that problem:

/thread/110728 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

Now, according to the processor specifications, the T-junction for that processor is 100°C, any temperatures below that value are considered expected and normal, so if the temperature of your processor is not spiking and it is reaching between 75 °C to 80 °C, that is no problem, specially if the PC is not throttling, getting freeze or going off by itself.

http://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

The fact that the processor passed the test is really good, the Intel® processor diagnostic tool is a very reliable tool, so the processor should be working fine.

Remember that the temperature on a processor always fluctuates, it is not a steady value, it will depend on the programs that are running, the processes on the background and all the possible tasks that are in progress. It is expected for the temperature to go up and down for the reasons provided above, specially if you are playing a game.

Please let me know if the temperature of your processor is spiking, in order to include your system specifications on the research we are currently doing.

Any further questions , please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlexDeLarge:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if in fact the temperature of your processor is spiking?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
ADeLa3
Beginner

Hello Alberto.

Sorry for being so late... I was busy with work issues.

Yes, the info you gave me was useful for me, and yes, my processor temperature spikes when opening most of my programs.

My processor temperature while in repose is around 25/30 degrees, and it spikes to 50/55 when opening any program.

I hope this info is useful for you as well.

Regards, Alex DeLarge.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlexDeLarge:

No problem at all, we understand.

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we really appreciate that.

In order to include your system specifications on the report, please provide the following details:

Processor Model:

Motherboard Brand:

Motherboard Model:

BIOS Version:

RAM Part Number:

OS installed

Video Card: (If the PC does not have a video card please let us know)

Please keep checking the status of the thread posted above in order to be able to see the resolution for this matter.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
ADeLa3
Beginner

Hello again Alberto.

Here goes the info you asked for:

Processor Model: Intel Core i7 7700k

Motherboard brand: Asus

Motherboard Model: Prime Z270P

BIOS Version: UEFI 3.0 RAM Part Number: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 OS Installed: Windows 10 Pro

Video card: Asus Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB GDDR5 

By the way, and in addition to the issue I told you in my first post, I have to say that now my processor is reaching 90/91 degrees while playing most of my games. As you can imagine, I'm quite worried about this, especially if we keep in mind that Spring just started here in Spain and room temperature is 12/15 degrees so, what will be the processor temperature when we hit the Summer and room temperature is 15/20 degrees higher?

Alex DeLarge

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AlexDeLarge:

Thank you very much for providing those details, we really appreciate you took the time to do that.

I will include your information in the report.

And yes, we understand your concern, and as you can confirm on the link above there are different users reporting this same issue.

So, currently Intel is working really hard in order to try to find a possible solution for this problem.

Please keep checking the thread provided previously for you to be able to see any updates on this subject.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
MTenh
Beginner

Hello,

I found this thread with a fitting topic.

I recently bought a i7 7700k.

I installed a Cryorig H7 thinking it would be powerful enough. I have applied the thermal paste 2 times, once i spread it out, second I put just a drop or two on the surface of the cpu.

What is the correct way to use thermal paste?

Temperatures when gaming can reach 95 c! I find that very high.

I have updated the bios, even fixed Vcore to a value, for example 1.2v, same result as on default settings.

I have ordered an additional fan for the cooler, doubtful it will help much.

I used the intel processor diagnostic tool, will include the result txt file.

This result passes, I was monitoring temps with another software, they were quite low during this intel test, 60-70 c, load 100%.

That is strange, since with a different test program I use load 100% and I get temps of 85c.

When I play battlefield 1, temperature max can reach 90-95 c.

This is not too good, I don't want to be gaming with fear that this high-end component will break, not to mention the additional heating it provides for the room.

Hopefully someone will get back to me about this about a possible solution to lower temperatures

System Information

------------------

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9

Number of Physical Cores: 4

Number of Logical Cores: 8

Installed System Memory: 16 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Graphics Information: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

System Product: Z270 PC MATE (MS-7A72)

System BIOS: 1.30

System Serial Number: Default string

0 Kudos
ADeLa3
Beginner

It seems that this guy has the same problem as me and many other who bought this particular processor.

I already ran Intel stress test and got 70/71 degrees with 100% load, but playing games like Battlefield 1, with 60/65% load it reaches 90/92 degrees. I also tried undervolting the processor from 1.25 to 1.19 and I barely managed to reduce a couple degrees of the maximum temperature.

I ran Aida 64 Extreme stress test and processor reached 85/86 degrees on 100% load.

By the way, my processor passed the diagnostic tool with no issues, all correct.

I use a Noctua NH C12P cooler which I think is more than enough, in fact, I used to play Battlefield 1 on an i5 3470 processor that didn't reach over 60 degrees on 100% load while playing.

Im still waiting for an answer from Intel to solve this problem, because we are reaching quite high room temperatures here in Spain and I'm really really worried about my processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

AlexDeLarge, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Yes, we do have reports from different peers stating they have the same situation with the Intel® i7-7700K. We are still currently working on this subject and there is an ongoing investigation about this matter. Please keep checking the following thread, as soon as Intel provides a resolution on this case you will be see all the details on it:

/thread/110728 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I am not sure why the process is taking so long. Unless they are trying to find a way to redirect responsibility in this matter.

Your "researchers" should be able to pull a dozen chips off the line and throw them under a cooling solution and see pretty quickly that the temps will be vastly different between the samples. You will see some that perform decent, but most of them will have temp issues and these have already been diagnosed by the enthusiast community.

We have found that the temp issues come from two things

1. The Tim being used between DIE and IHS is of poor quality and the application of it is not consistant. some chips have way too much reducing thermal transfer and others have too little with air pockets in the TIM. Only a few seems to have a nice uniform application.

2. The Silicon Adhesive that holds the IHS on is also inconsistant on some chips. This leads to air pockets or areas where the TIM have to be much thicker to make contact and as a result reduce thermal transfer.

On a chip with 1 of these you will notice temps that are high, but still decent enough for non-overclocked gaming. On a chip with both of these issues you run into high temps regardless of what is taking place. These are the people reporting 90+ temps or ones that run p95 and instantly jump to 101C.

There is a QC and QA issue here and THAT is what needs to be resolved. Then intel needs to decide at what point it will be handling RMA's for the people affected.

I also think Intel should for once give the delidding community full warranty support on these chips (as long as their is no dmg to the chip from the actual delidding). As delidding these chips is about the only way to get the thermal performance to an acceptable level for any type of real overclockings. I mean if you get a perfect chip it will do fine, but even a perfect chip will run 10C hotter than a delidded one using CLU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

TGrable, Thank you very much for sharing those comments and information. Intel really respects and appreciates the opinions and feedback provided by all of the peers in our communities.

In regard to this subject, just to let you know, the option to replace the processor under this scenario is available, you can always do that by getting in contact with the Intel warranty department. Intel is still doing an investigation on this product, there is no estimated time frame of how long it will take to reach a possible resolution, let me apologize for that, and the thing is that if you replace the processor once you get the new unit you might notice the same behavior on it, that is why some peers prefer to wait for Intel to finish the investigation.

Just in case, here is the contact information if you are interested in the option of replacing the unit:

Chat support; http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat, for phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:

EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3 http://intel.ly/28QeAF3

APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF

LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4 http://intel.ly/29c0rW4

North America: Phone Number 1-916-377-7000, Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos