Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

i7-7700k thermal throttling below 60°C

KKova2
Beginner

Here is my problem with my i7-7700k. Pictures attached below.

It keeps doing thermal throttling when it is heavily used. Pictures below shows underclocked/undervolted, but the situation is worse on stock settings.

PSU is EVGA Supernova G3 550, it can't be a problem.

Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Kiskoko.

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Communities Team.I will be more than glad to assist you further in respect of the Thermal Throttling inquiry you have.

I would like to mention that these results are expected when performing a stress test to the processor even if the settings were modified to make the microprocessor to a lower frequency. Additionally, you can verify that your heatsink is installed correctly and that you have a good airflow in your case.

Furthermore, please run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool just to make sure that your unit is not having any problem. Please share with us the results.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just an observation: I also wonder if there is some ACPI code activated that is implementing passive cooling.

...S

0 Kudos
KKova2
Beginner

Well, reapplied the heatsink. Thermal throttling is gone @4.0GHz 1.1volt. But still there on stock settings.

You say it's normal if CPU is under heavy load...

I say, I'm not happy with this. I paid a lot for this CPU and can't use it on stock settings.

I have a properly installed heatsink for sure, and still have throttling issues.

Ran the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool , it passed.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, I didn't say it was normal; it is *very* abnormal. I was saying that ACPI-based passive cooling (i.e. throttling) may be enabled and, if it is, it is incorrectly configured (hell, grossly misconfigured). Check your BIOS configuration.

...S

0 Kudos
KKova2
Beginner

I was answering to Intel's message. not yours.

By the way, found out what is the problem.

My MOBO VRM was too hot, and it caused PROCHOT: YES.

Thats why CPU was throttling.

have to buy new MOBO.

0 Kudos