Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

i7-7820X - can it go to 4.5GHz with Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 or not??

idata
Employee

Dear community,

I am very much into running single threaded algorithms (analysis of biomedical data) and I have built myself and analysis PC around

MSI X299 Gamin Pro Carbon AC motherboard

Intel i7-7820X processor

The main reason for i7-7820X was quad channel memory support and the notion it can increase single core frequency to 4.5GHz when needed, which is what I very much needed. Unfortunately I have so far failed to get the processor to that max specified frequency and I am wondering if it can be done or not? I have found 2 other support threads with similar topics, but they haven't addressed my concern.

The BIOS settings seem OK (EIST and Turbo Boost are enabled).

I have the latest Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver installed (1.0.0.1033) and properly configured

The CPU-Z utility reports multiplier x12 (idling) and (12-45) range, suggesting that 4.5GHz should be attainable.

The Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool passed with flying colors and CPU Stress Test caused *all* core frequencies to 4.3 GHz.

My algorithms cause the best core to go up to 4.3GHz, but not higher.

So, even though it might seem irrelevant, as the build works really nicely, I am curious as to what am I doing wrong and why can't I achieve that extra performance bit I was aiming for? I have water cooling and temperature does not seem to be an issue, Stress Test mentioned above hardly made the processor sweat (happy to provide the results). Has anyone gotten this processor to 4.5GHz (at least that one promised core)? Can something still be done, that I have missed?

Thank you!

Vinko

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Vinko: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best in order to assist you with this subject.

In regard to your inquiry, actually for the Intel® i7-7820X processor the Max Turbo Frequency is: 4.30GHz. So, according to the information you gave us the processor seems to be working fine, specially based on the fact that it passed the Intel® PDT test:

https://ark.intel.com/products/123767/Intel-Core-i7-7820X-X-series-Processor-11M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz https://ark.intel.com/products/123767/Intel-Core-i7-7820X-X-series-Processor-11M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

Also, remember that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for providing feedback. The link you posted I have read over and over already before, and it says (copy-paste):

• Max Turbo Frequency 4.30 GHz
  • Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency ‡ 4.50 GHz

If the information there is wrong, you should update your website. If not, I am then wondering what that 4.5GHz means and how to attain it? Again, don't get me wrong, I am loving the hardware and it indeed works well, but I am a bit restless until I figure this one out.

Best,

Vinko

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vinko: Thank you very much for providing that feedback. We completely understand your point and based on that we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Just to confirm, did you installed the latest BIOS version on the board, 7A95v15?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X299-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC# down-bios

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto,

I was not aware of this most recent BIOS update. I have installed it and it has, indeed, resolved the issue!! Updating BIOS reverted some of the default settings. I have re-enabled dynamic multiplier management per core and got the expected behavior - the 2 best cores are now able to boost frequency to 4.5 GHz and the remaining 6 cores boosts to 4.3 GHz.

Excellent!

Thank you for your input!

Vinko

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vinko: You are very welcome. Perfect, thank you very much for letting us know those results, we are glad to hear that the problem with the turbo boost got fixed and the PC is working fine now.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos