Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

i7 8650u configuring

kbryanl79
Novice

So, I have a Gen6 X1 Carbon with the i7 8650u chip. It is constantly thermal throttling which I have seen is common with these laptops as they are quite compact.  The processors are not upgradeable. I was trying to download the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility but it does not support this chip set.  Is there a tool similar to this for advanced tuning of the chip set?  I really don't want to purchase a new laptop but this throttling is killing my day trading platform, and at the worst moments!!  Any help is appreciated!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

More correctly, XTU does not support your processor.

I would redo the thermal paste on your processor, and make certain that all dust is removed from the heat sink to allow proper ventilation.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

kbryanl79
Novice

Yeah , I have liquid metal ordered already as I have seen some testing done with it and the gen 6 with positive results.  I would also like the ability to manage other aspects of the processor. Worse case I have been putting off switching to Macs... maybe the time has come.?.?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You do understand that this issue is the platform's fault, right? The throttling is occurring because the platform hasn't provided a cooling solution that will handle the heat generated by the processor. They do this purely to save money - money that goes straight into their pockets; not passed on to the purchaser. In addition to just letting it throttle due to thermals, they also configure it to throttle due to power draw. This is so that they can claim longer battery life with cheaper batteries - the money from which goes straight into their pockets; not passed on the purchaser. You should also understand that they pull the same crap with AMD processors; this isn't an Intel thing.

Off my Soap Box now,

...S

kbryanl79
Novice

Yeah I got you, and the X1 carbons are ultra compact with zero upgrade options and terrible cooling solutions. They actually released a thermal update that a Lenovo tech told me to disable because it made the system run at higher temps. SMH Probably a bad choice for my original purchase.  

0 Kudos
kbryanl79
Novice

Was just hoping Intel had a similar tool like Intel ETU for my processor to try and counter the issue.

0 Kudos