Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i7-8700 Driver

JNork
Novice

Is there a driver available for the Core i7-8700 processor? All I could find is a Win 10 DCH driver, which appears to be primarily for graphics. I recently upgraded my computer from a Dell XPS 8900 (i7-6700 processor) to a Dell XPS 8930 (i7-8700). Under the Processor section of the Windows Device Manager, I receive an error message under Device Status for the i7-8700: "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)." I am hoping that the current driver for the i7-8700 will resolve this error. Please let me know if you have any alternate suggestions. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JNork
Novice
Hello Abigail. I wanted to let you know that I was able to solve the i7-8700/Device Manager Error Code 32 problem. What I had to do was to uninstall all twelve of the i7-8700 processor incidences in Device Manager. Then I had to select the generic “processor” option for the driver, rather than the “Intel Processor” driver option. Once that was done, the driver in the Core i7-8700 was “Processr.Sys,” rather than “IntelPPM.Sys.” You will notice in looking at the attached screenshots that the yellow exclamation marks and Error Code 32 warnings are now completely absent from the Device Manager/Processor. I find it odd that a generic processor driver seems to work better than the Intel-specific driver, but I could find no other way to eliminate the Code 32 Device Manager errors. John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you check with dell to see if the i7-8700 is supported by THEIR BIOS?

What Operating System are you running? Windows 10? If so, what version? 1903?

Doc

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice
Hello Al, Thanks for your response. To answer your questions, yes, the Dell XPS 8900 is supported by Dell . Several models of the XPS 8900 come with the i7-8700 and it is an option on others. In addition, the i7-8700 is correctly identified in the BIOS of my machine. The operating system I am using is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (version 1903). John
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The only thing I can suggest is that you update your bios.

Doc

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice

The BIOS is current. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JNork,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

I would like to provide you with the following information/recommendations:

This problem would be cosmetic and does not your system performance. We have seen this issue to happen in other Windows versions and the recommended steps are the following:

Reinstall the processor driver

Use Device Manager to reinstall the processor driver, and then restart the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then click on Device Manager.
  2.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. In Device Manager, expand the Processors node.
  4. Right-click each processor that is listed, click Uninstall, and then click OK.
  5. Restart the computer after you have uninstalled all the processors.
  6. After the computer is restarted, the processor drivers are reinstalled. Restart the computer again when you are prompted to do so after the computer has finished installing the processor drivers. After the computer is restarted again, the correct processor information is listed in Device Manager under Processors.

The second option to fix the "Error code 32" according to Microsoft* would be:

1. From Start, search for device manager and select Device Manager from the results.
  2. Right-click the device in the list.
  3. Select Uninstall from the menu that appears.
  4. After the device is uninstalled, choose Action on the menu bar.
  5. Select Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver.

And the last option to fix the issue would be to re-install the operating system, but since this is a pre-built system that comes with the OS pre-installed I would recommend you to get in contact with Dell to check if this process does not void the warranty on the computer.

If you would like to check the processor status I would recommend you to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to check if you get any error presented on the processor: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice

Thank you very much for your thorough, detailed response, Abigail. Although I have already tried some similar ideas, I will go through your suggestions in order and let you know the result.

If this situation were only about a seldom-used component (e.g., the optical drive or Dolby audio), I would probably just let it go at this point. However, getting this series of intractable errors from the core microprocessor is another matter entirely.

John

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice
Hello Abigail, I wanted to let you know that I ran the Intel processor diagnostic program two times, and all tests passed (no errors). John
0 Kudos
JNork
Novice

Hello Abigail,

I tried your two methods listed below (Intel and Microsoft) to eliminate the Device Manager Error Code 230 for the twelve processor threads listed for the Intel Core i7-8700. Unfortunately neither method worked. In both cases, even though I manually deleted the twelve i7-8700 entries they all came back automatically, with the exact same Device Manager error that I started with. Apparently they are picking up the same driver again after I manually deleted the i7-8700 from Device Manager.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

John

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice
Hello Abigail, I tried your two methods listed below (Intel and Microsoft) to eliminate the Device Manager Error Code 230 for the twelve processor threads listed for the Intel Core i7-8700. Unfortunately neither method worked. In both cases, even though I manually deleted the twelve i7-8700 entries they all came back automatically, with the exact same Device Manager error that I started with. Apparently they are picking up the same driver again after I manually deleted the i7-8700 from Device Manager. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks. John
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JNork,

Thank you for the response.

1. I also would like to ask, have you performed any physical change to the processor?
  2. Have you performed any change to the OS since you got the computer?

Please share the outcomes once you test the steps provide before.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice
Hi Abigail, Here are the answers to your questions: 1). No physical change to the processor. 2). The OS is the same (Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, version 1903). What we did was move a Samsung SSD from a previous version of this machine (Dell XPS 8900) to the current machines (Dell XPS 8930). The XPS 8900 did have a different processor (Core i7-6700 versus the Core i7-8700 in the new target machine). John
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JNork,

Thank you for the information provided.

In this case, the strongest reason why this error code 32 is present in the device manager would be the movement of the SSD to the newest machine with different components. This could corrupt some files on the operating system and affect the performance of the hard drive.

Our best recommendation would be to contact your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) in order to follow the procedure for a clean installation of the operating system. Since they have more information about your Windows* License and more steps and questions that they will be able to answer during this OS installation.

Please let me know about any other concerns that I can help you to resolve.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice

Hello Abigail.

I wanted to let you know that I was able to solve the i7-8700/Device Manager Error Code 32 problem. What I had to do was to uninstall all twelve of the i7-8700 processor incidences in Device Manager. Then I had to select the generic “processor” option for the driver, rather than the “Intel Processor” driver option. Once that was done, the driver in the Core i7-8700 was “Processr.Sys,” rather than “IntelPPM.Sys.”

You will notice in looking at the attached screenshots that the yellow exclamation marks and Error Code 32 warnings are now completely absent from the Device Manager/Processor.

I find it odd that a generic processor driver seems to work better than the Intel-specific driver, but I could find no other way to eliminate the Code 32 Device Manager errors.

John

Device Manager Processor Data I.PNG

Device Manager Processor Data II.PNG

0 Kudos
JNork
Novice
Hello Abigail. I wanted to let you know that I was able to solve the i7-8700/Device Manager Error Code 32 problem. What I had to do was to uninstall all twelve of the i7-8700 processor incidences in Device Manager. Then I had to select the generic “processor” option for the driver, rather than the “Intel Processor” driver option. Once that was done, the driver in the Core i7-8700 was “Processr.Sys,” rather than “IntelPPM.Sys.” You will notice in looking at the attached screenshots that the yellow exclamation marks and Error Code 32 warnings are now completely absent from the Device Manager/Processor. I find it odd that a generic processor driver seems to work better than the Intel-specific driver, but I could find no other way to eliminate the Code 32 Device Manager errors. John
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JNork,

Thank you for sharing your testings and fixes. Your sharings will help other community peers with similar issues.

I am glad to know that the issue was solved without doing the clean installation of the operating system.

Since the issue was solved I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos