Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

i7-8700 drawing ~100W power causing high temps

SSieg2
Beginner

I'm having high temp concerns with my cpu. Using the IntelBurnTest, at maximum load, many cores are experiencing 90+ degree temperatures. My HWiNFO censors indicate the cpu is drawing ~100W of power during maximum load tests. One suggestion received was to set a negative AVX offset in order to reduce the temps experienced, though this reduces my cpu frequencies...not a good solution for a new system.

Any thoughts on this?

CPU: i7-8700

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P User Manual

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ssiegrist

Thank you for joining this community

I understand that you have questions to address regarding your Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor.

In this case, during a stress test, reaching 92°C is expected, considering the Maximum temperature of the CPU to be 100°C.

Is the CPU reaching that temperature on its daily bases? Or does it reach that value only when the stress test is running?

Have you experiencing any blues screens, error messages or random reboots?

Can you please tell us more about the machine's performance?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
SSieg2
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. In addition to the stress test, this extreme occurs also when editing/converting video files. Otherwise, it operates at 48-72c, and has not experienced any error messages, reboots, or blue screens.

The images below are recorded during video conversion, with temps getting to 99c.

What about the power...it also shows a high number, which would increase the heat generated. Is this all normal?

My system:

CPU: i7-8700

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P

Cooler: Notua NH-L9x65

RAM: 32GB (not OC)

OS Drive: Samsung Evo 960 NVMe SSD

Data Drive: WD HDD

Case Fans: 5 total (3 pull/2 exhaust)

0 Kudos
SSieg2
Beginner

Since the stock cooler was way too loud for me, I went high a very highly rated cooler, which is better in every way than the stock cooler. So, knowing this, there would be no surprise that I would see these same readings with the stock cooler. This lends me to believe this is okay for the processor? The numbers shown happen very infrequently...I'm stressing my processor rarely, and according to the sensors, thermal throttling has never been triggered.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ssiegrist,

Thank you for your response.

In this case yes, based on your screenshots and the brief description of your case, the behavior is normal especially when thermal throttling has never been triggered.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ssiegrist,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos