Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

i7 8700k clock speed pegged at 4.3MHz

NT2
Beginner

Hi,

I just built my system and have noticed that my clock speed is pegged at 4.3 at idle (idle cpu load bounces between 2 and 8 %) and stays there even under load. Now I haven't overclocked the cpu, the only thing I've done is the XMP for the memory. So far all the searching I've done has said to set the windows power settings to Balanced but that does nothing, the only way it down clocks is if I set it to Power Save and it drops to 800MHz but thats it, no boost. I've tried disabling/enabling ESIT and enabling Cstates etc but nothing has changes. The only thing I've seen do anything to the clock speed was that I ended the XtuService and that dropped the clock speed to 3.7MHz and it would boost to 4.3 and back down.

Now am I wrong in thinking that it should be closer to 800MHZ at idle then boost up or no? My temps seem to be fine at idle, 35c and I've see it hit 60c while playing games etc, but it just seems like if the cpu is running at 4.3 constant it will burn it out quicker.

My system is

Windows 10 64

i7 8700k

Evga FTW Z370 Motherboard (up to date BIOS 108)

32gb of GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz memory

Evga GTX 1080Ti

Evga 850 watt PS

With a Kraken X62 AIO

The only Monitoring software I have at start is CAM (garbage I know) and I also have Evga's E-Leet Tuning Utility X software but that does not start up at boot.

Any info/help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello evil-twin,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I noticed that you are using 3rd party software to get useful information about your system. In this case, our recommendation is that you can also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) to monitor your system. Try running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach a report. To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

You can also go to Power Option settings > Changed advanced power settings > Processor power management > Minimum processor state/Maximum processor state to confirm more information about the power settings.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
NT2
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.

I've attached the test results from the diagnostic tool.

I have installed the XTU but it will not start. It says that there is another tuning program running and to shut that one off before XTU can start. Thing is I don't have any other program running other than CAM software and ICue from corsair. I've shut them down but XTU still will not start.

At start up the XtuService (32bit) and the Intel Integrated Clock Control service are running and when I end either one of their tasks though the task manage or both the Clock Speed drops to 3.7MHz and will boost up to 4.4MHz.

Ok strange thing just happened, I left XtuService running and just ended the Intel Integrated Clock Control and the XTU program actually started. ? I'll have to test that again.

Regarding the Power Options, I have went all though them, as of right now I have it set to Balanced with the minimum at 5% and maximum at 100%. As it sits now with the power, Balanced and High Performance do the exact same thing. I've even enabled Ultimate Performance and that does the same as Balanced and High Performance.

Thank you

Norm.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello evil-twin,

Thank you for your response.

It seems to me that you can resolve this issue from BIOS. First, try loading default settings to make sure that voltages and overclocking settings are correct.

Now, the other tuning utility running in your system could be the E-LEET Software Suite. It is available for your motherboard. If it is already installed in your system, you can also use it to make sure that your default system settings are loaded and prevent any overclocking feature from being enabled.

Keep in mind that a BIOS update may resolve this issue. However, we do not recommend a BIOS update without the manufacturer's advice since there may be some risk.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello evil-twin,

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
NT2
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Guess I forgot to mention that I have tried resetting the bios to factory settings with no effects to the clock speeds. I have the latest bios. Also the E-Leet software does not start at start up, but I have checked that all settings are stock.

Now what I have found is that if I end the task of either the XTuService or the Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service from within Task Manager, it drops the clock speed down to 3.7MHz at idle and then will boost up to 4.5HMz with any load put on the cpu.

If I leave both tasks running it sits at 4.3MHZ at idle and will not boost any higher.

Both services were there before I installed Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

Thanks Norm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello evil-twin,

Thank you for your reply.

If changing the power options in Windows* did not fix this issue, then it means that a program may be forcing your system to remain on high performance. For example, this could apply to any drive management utility. You can verify if any recently installed software is causing your system to behave in this way.

You can also contact your system manufacturer to find out if technologies such as Intel® SpeedStep Technology are enabled.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos