Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14508 Discussions

i7-8750h not performing at 100% help.

ddomi13
Beginner

i been struggling with the CPU since it only appears to reach 3.5GHz when the max is 4.1GHz and brings down the whole laptop system with him(CPU) yesterday was very slow even struggle to open chrome, i am gonna ad the Intel processor identification utility file which shows that only reach 3.5GHz , if theres any one with the same problem that know the solution or someone that can help me that would be great.

i added the file so you can see more about the CPU

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This question gets asked all the time. I am sorry to have to say so but, 99% of the time, it is usually being asked by someone who just doesn't understand how the feature works.

There are many factors that can prevent a processor from achieving its maximum turbo boost frequency. The primary factor is temperature. If the processor is running hot, then it will not have the headroom to support much boosting. Next come processor load. If the processor is seeing activity spread fairly evenly across its execution threads, then it is not going to be able to achieve the maximum boost. Remember that the maximum boost is reserved for times when only a single core is active; as more cores become involved, the achievable boost is smaller.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ddomi13
Beginner

i only use it for gaming and homework but never have 2 programs running at the same time even close background programs to have full performance.

even when its hot doesn't reach max temp or its protecting itself.

do you think if i add en external fan it would perform better i planning to use topmate 2300rpm max has 5 fans 1 center and 4 in corners

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Don't get ahead of yourself. The first thing to do is to determine whether you have a temperature issue. Run something like AIDA64 and use its ability to test the processor's performance while tracking temperatures.

...S

0 Kudos
ddomi13
Beginner

it looks like its the overheating maybe im gonna need the fan.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, by Intel's current definition, this is not overheating, but I would expect that this is sufficiently hot enough to prevent the Turbo Boost feature from being as effective as it would otherwise. I am also concerned that the minimum temperature is as high as it is. This may be purely the result of timing, I can't tell. What temperatures are you seeing at idle? If, after letting the system sit idle for, say, 5 minutes, you should see temperatures in the low 40's. If not, then you may have a bigger temperature issue. Does this laptop have any configuration parameters in its BIOS that would let you increase the cooling levels across the board?

...S

0 Kudos
ddomi13
Beginner

the temp on idle is about 61, but right now i dont know why but its locked at .79 GHz at a temp of 51 and i have to restart it to have again 3.5 GHz if i do a factory reset is would reset like the cpu config and sop having these issues?

sorry i forgot to place it as a reply. thats why is posted to.

0 Kudos
ddomi13
Beginner

the temp on idle is about 61, but right now i dont know why but its locked at .79 GHz at a temp of 51 and i have to restart it to have again 3.5 GHz if i do a factory reset is would reset like the cpu config and sop having these issues?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, 61c is an awfully high idle temperature. Your system should be idling in the low 40's. This is going to cost you in terms of what Turbo Boost is available. Secondly, that "lock" that you are seeing is likely a bug in the ACPI code that the BIOS is running to control cooling. You will need to talk to your laptop vendor's support people about this.

Resetting the BIOS Configuration to Defaults (or Optimal Defaults) will reset the BIOS Configuration to the values determined for your laptop design at the point where it cleared engineering. Normally, this is the "intended" configuration for the laptop, but, if the laptop is one that is modified for different customers (for example, processor module for Core i3 used instead of version with Core i5), then there may have been some modifications made afterwards. Usually, in cases like this, however, the modified configuration is locked in as the Default configuration, so you resetting it should still bring it to the intended configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ddomi13
Beginner

i already started the full reset to see if that fix the problem since the xtu of intel modify my computer but its rare because it was still happening even without the xtu driver so i think its the drivers that aorus says we have to install or the cpu itself its faulty.

0 Kudos