idata
Employee

Processor: Intel i7 920

Stock Heat Sink.

AS5 Thermal Paste

Case: Thermaltake Element G Mid Tower Case @

Case contains: 1x230mm fan, 2x200mm, 1x140mm

Mainboard: EVGA X58 SLI Classified Intel X58 Socket LGA1366

Ram: Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 Tri PC12800 1600MHz (3x2GB)

SSD: Hitachi 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

HDD: OCZ Vertex Series 120GB SATA 2

Power Supply: Kingwin Mach 1 700w ATX Modular

Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCIe DDR5 w/HDMI & DVI

Operating System: Windows 7 Premium

THIS SYSTEM IS NOT OVERCLOCKED IN ANY WAY.

Ambient Temp: 22C

Processor Cores: 45c idle, 80c max load

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Note that I have re-seated the heatsink multiple times with the same resulting temperatures.

I just built this system last week and right out of the box with the stock cooler I'm getting 45c idle temperatures and 80c load temperatures. I understand that these temperatures are within safe levels and should cause no damage to the processor.

HOWEVER. I've read a lot of people getting 30c idle and 60c max load temperatures with stock conditions. I've also heard about people getting 25-35c idle and 50-60c max overclocked at 3.6Ghz with an aftermarket cooler.

First thing to know is that I've already contacted the vendor and they are willing to replace the processor at no cost.

Once I get an aftermarket cooler and know the system has been stable, i'd like to overclock this machine to 3.6GHz. So the problem I come across is:

Does this processor USUALLY idle 45c or is the norm around 30c like I've read on most sites with a max load between 50-60c instead of the 80c I am getting?

The point is if this processor usually idles and maxes at lower temperatures than I am getting, I may as well send my processor back for a replacement before putting an aftermarket heatsink on it and trying to start overclocking the system. I mean, they are willing to do it at no cost so I'm not losing anything and am patient enough to wait for 15°c-25°c difference.

Any suggestions?

9 Replies
idata
Employee

Are we looking at Core(s) temps or CPU temp? I think your looking at Core(s) temps which are allowed to be that hot.

idata
Employee

First of all, I want to say thank you for the feedback.

Secondly, I'd like to say this is exactly the kind of answer I was trying to avoid when typing the first paragraph:

"I just built this system last week and right out of the box with the stock cooler I'm getting 45c idle temperatures and 80c load temperatures. I understand that these temperatures are within safe levels and should cause no damage to the processor."

I understand the temps are ok. The rest of the post was designed to facilitate my question which is in a nutshell:

Are the normal temps for the cores on this processor normally lower, and should i take the opportunity for the free exchange for a different processor hoping to get one with lower idle and max temps so I can overclock worry-free?

Thanks

idata
Employee

There is nothing wrong with the CPU you got now for better OC get a better cooler thats really all there is to it.

The only other thing you can do is check the box for sSpec Number SLBEJ with Core Stepping D0 the SLBCH had C0 there is no way of knowing should you exchange it online that you will get the SLBEJ.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Again, thank you for trying to help, Peter. But, again, you are not answering my question and the first paragraph in my original post was designed to stop this kind of response.

I KNOW that there is nothing "wrong" with the processor.

The question (rewritten), again, is:

Are the idle/max load temps for an i7 920 NORMALLY LOWER than what I am getting because I am considering sending this chip back for a replacement at no cost to myself before I decide to overclock my system. Does anyone have experience with this chip and know that the idle/max temps are normally lower than what I am experiecing, or do most chips run these temperatures?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, they are perfectly normal as far as i know. both my i7-920 and my Xeon W3520 both run with a core temp of 43C-68C. my friend's machine is an i7 920 as well and runs with an idle of 44C-72C. both are stock cooling. the CPU temps usually register between 31C and 45C most of the time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, they are perfectly normal as far as i know. both my i7-920 and my Xeon W3520 both run with a core temp of 43C-68C. my friend's machine is an i7 920 as well and runs with an idle of 44C-72C. both are stock cooling. the CPU temps usually register between 31C and 45C most of the time.

Message was edited by: ultimatekaiser, apologies for the repost it was an accident.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the feedback, Kaiser.

The idle temps over one of the cores bumped up to 49°c steadily so I sent this processor back for a replacement and ordered a nice aftermarket Zalman 9900NT to cool it.

There should be no problems with the next chip.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great. yeah a zalman or a coolermaster heatsink with some AS5 thermal compound should do the trick nicely. Also for your consideration, I might doublecheck your cable management in the case and be sure you're getting good airflow so the i7 can breathe well. that case has good ventilation like my Antec 900, put it to good use!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think in house Intel experts will do a much better job in helping you overcome the situation! Ask them during the Intel Live Chat event on the 26th of Feb- http://www.intellivechat.com/facebook.html

0 Kudos