Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

i7-9700k hot beast impossible to cool down

Michael_223112
Beginner

Hi,

I have i7-9700k. Brand new out of box shiny sweet little chip. Its been 3 years now and first time I started using it heavily. Editing, gaming, drawing  little vector graphics. I've notice is hot.

I know about computers thing or two. Building my rigs since I was teenager. I know what you gonna tell me - check paste , check ... 

... No! ... none of this things. Tested with 3 coolers - Corsair H115i, CM Hyper 612, EVGA CLC360. Also used 2 different paste - Arctic Silver and regular silicone grey unbranded. 

This chip when runs any stress software jumps straight to 100 Celcius. I dont even think about overclocking onsidering gets hot on normal 4600MHz clocks with no turbo.

Voltage ( maybe cuz power limits are lifted ) jumps up to 1.4V. Crazy greedy chip.

Dont get me wrong it does job work fantastic but those temps.

I am used to having CPU peeking around 75 degree. My Haswell never went above 72 although clocks were twaeked. It did get to 4,2 GHz with only 1.22V. Yep thats why I always love Intel. 

Until now when they getting too hot. Got really mad. Lapped IHS, removed IHS, nothing changes. Waiting for custom copper IHS or maybe Direct Die Bracket if find any. 

What to do to cool them down. Some people undervolt some overclock. Mine is struggling with default speeds and consume way too much Volts.

Oh yeah I did change Mobo for testing. Placed this bugger in friend Asrock Z390 Gaming 9. Very nice mobo but same thing - hungry hot chip.

Came back on mine Z390 from MSI (MPG CARBON GAMING PRO).

How too cool it? Where get brackets IHS from. Cant find anything reasonable and rockit for 80 USD seems little bit steep for me.

Intel please give a clues. I want to make our relationship work again.

Regards

MC

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Michael_223112

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you have tried several steps and also removed the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) of the processor.

We would like to inform you that we don't support any physical modifications to the processor and that actually voids the warranty. For more details, please review this article: "Can I Remove and Replace Integrated Heat Spreader for Better Heat Performance?"

Due to physical modifications are not supported, we cannot recommend about "custom IHS".

In this case, our recommendation would be to put the IHS back on the processor and review recommendations that may help with overheating issues. For instance, you may try steps in the following article that you haven't tested yet: Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors.

Some examples are:

• Check to see if there's excessive dust in the system and/or heatsink fans and make sure that the intake vents and exhaust vents are clear of dust and lint.
  • Make sure there are proper environmental conditions and proper airflow to the chassis.
  • Load the default BIOS setting in your system or try to update the BIOS if it is not on the latest version. Based on MSI* website, for MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON, the latest BIOS (stable) version is 7B17v1B.

However, if the behavior persists, then the processor may be already damaged.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Michael_223112

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you have additional inquiries, if so, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Michael_223112
Beginner

I do have latest BIOS. Yes I did removed IHS as well as lapped IHS. This is irrelevant. I wouldnt do it if the temps were all right. I am used to 70-75 Celsius max. Intel always kept cool. My CPU before this was Haswell also IHS removed. It maxed out on 4200MHz cool 72 max after hour of prime. 

I do realize that new chips are hotter. I do realize speeds are crazy so performance too compare to Haswell or any older generation. But when it starts throttling on stock 4,6GHz its not right. I lowered voltages. All down max to point it crashes. Max Vcore around 1.25-1.28. All other Voltages on stock manually entered so mobo wont crank it up (new mobos like to throw some extra). I was sure its defected mobo from first days of usage. But  recently replaced it and same results. Now Iam back on MSI z390 and temps are crazy. Replaced paste 5 times already. Replaced cooling from H115i to EVGA CLC360. Not of performance reason rather Corsair was old and tired needed retirement leaving for me nice 280 radiator. 

Case is nice and clean. 3x120 top pull fans (700rpm-1200rpm), 1x120 back pull (800rpm) , 1x120 bottom pull (800rpm) , 2x140 front push ( 800rpm). Its nice and clean build in Corsair Obsidian 750D case. Thermally case is top notch. Fitting on CPU has been check multiple times. Pump is on auto from 1500rpm to 3000rpm. Everything works as a charm. Ram 3200MHz at 1.35V. 

In Bios I didn't touch anything after flashing. Just Fan control. I switched on XMP (same behaviour on stock 2400MHz) set voltages to manual (overheat on auto too), Set LLC to lowest ( I dont do OC with this chip ) and Load lite to lowest too. Switched off C-States and Speed Shift ( better stability and speed shift doesnt do anything ), switched off virtualization technologies (not relevant). Power limits maxed out - watts and amperes ( same thing with auto power limits ). At this point for some reason it wont even Turbo boost. I dont know why. Sits on 4,6 in stress drops to 800MHz on rest. It litterly never turbo boost. When I had Bios flash two years ago it did few time when loading system. On new Bios never do that. 

I know that is something wrong with this particular chip. I don't care about turbo. Can always do it manually if I want but gaming on 75 degrees its little scary. I have laptop doing 85 but that's laptop with i7 10th gen. Its normal when gaming heats up to 85.

I am thinking is there anything I could do to lower this. Any settings. Maybe a template with best settings for z390.  Maybe some recommended voltages for this chip. Maybe stepping 13 all have same thing. I thought its solder but its not. 

Intel make me love you again.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Michael_223112

Thank you for your response and for all the details. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Michael_223112

We understand that despite the temperature values that you have noticed, the processor works fine (you mentioned that "it does job work fantastic" and you haven't reported any crashes or errors on the system).

The Tjunction (maximum temperature allowed at the processor die) for the Intel® Core™ i7-9700K Processor is 100°C.

When the processor is operating at or near its maximum frequency it's possible for the temperature to climb very rapidly and quickly reach its maximum temperature. In sustained workloads (for instance, like the stress test that you mentioned), it's possible the processor will operate at or near its maximum temperature limit. Being at maximum temperature while running a workload isn't necessarily cause for concern. Intel processors constantly monitor their temperature and can very rapidly adjust their frequency and power consumption to prevent overheating and damage.

At this point, we believe that you have done extensive troubleshooting going through many of the steps recommended for this type of scenarios and we don't happen to think on more steps to take. And if the processor is not going beyond the maximum temperature, then it is under specifications and mostly when there is a heavy workload as you're doing now.

However, if it is experiencing other issues (crashes, reaching temperatures above 100°C, errors, etc.) the processor may be already damaged, some factors that may lead to this are, for instance, removing the IHS, or using an unsupported RAM frequency¹ too (you mentioned RAM was "3200MHz at 1.35V"; however, the CPU supports DDR4 2666MHz).

Regarding suggestions for recommended BIOS settings or voltage values, it is important to keep in mind that the processor should work fine under default settings. However, for more details about further options, we recommend contacting the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) MSI* for recommended settings on the BIOS. This is since they are the ones that handle all the technical details about their BIOS features, design, customizations, and instructions on how to adjust settings.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Note:

1- Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

0 Kudos
Michael_223112
Beginner

Hello,

I dont know how any of this information going to help me. Lets not talk about IHS and guarantee. I was aware of repercussion involved in process when removing it. I do not claim replacement. I dont think in any circumstances  under any condition temperature 100 degress is acceptable with stock speeds and stock voltage. I am still hitting 100 although Vcore is reduced. I prevent motherboard from applying own voltages (usually more then needed) and set it manually to adaptive minus offset . So far I managed to drop Vcore to 1.21 in a stress with XMP profile 1 applied.  Temperature is out of control although I can see heat builds up way slower and requires more time to peak.

If understand you well you adviced me to switch off Intel Extreme Memory Profile. I dont think I'll do it. I did before and it seems doesnt make any difference. Only noticable difference is automaticlly Sytem Agent and Controller IO voltages being lifted from 0.95 & 1.05 to 1.15 & 1.20 which again doesnt make big difference in temperature. 

I will try undervolt even more eventaully downclock if temps still too high. 

I went through datasheet volume 1 and 2 and still cannot find required information which voltages might reduce

Would you be able to provide basic voltages for 9700k. Like recommended volteges for Vcore, ring ,SA, IO so on so on. All settings which help me low temperature. I went through Datasheet for 8th & 9th Gen Processor volume 1 & 2. Cannot find clear answet what voltages for 2660Mhz Ram and 3200 Mhz. It would be helpful as dont want let motherboard to adjust it. She's too generous and most likely would apply more then actually needed. 

Once again my processor isnt damaged. It just hot. Intel made few hot examples and I have one in my rig. My actions might only enhance thermal capabilities of this chip.

Would you post please all voltages best for 9700k. I know each is differet but answers like ex. Ring voltage 1.25-1.30 would be satisfactory. Also answers like SAvoltage 1.0 with 2400 MHx Rams and 1.25 with 4000 MHz Rams.

You can feel free to close thread. 

I m really suprised. Every time Iam asking question for any computer part Customer Service Team always blame customer. Never consider faulty product. 

Also none of you adviced me to undervolt CPU or tweak with voltages.  Well hope wont cause too much trouble to provide all votages and settings.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Michael_223112

Thank you for your response.

Our best recommendation is to have the processor under specifications using default settings. The documentation available (9th/8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Datasheet) provides details about the Min and the Max voltage (e.g.: datasheet volume 1 page 133, Operating Voltage: S-Processor Line 95W 8-Core > Min: 0V, Max: 1.52 + Offset voltage= 1.72V); however, we don't comment on any specific values to adjust BIOS options related to voltage.

This is similar when it comes to the memory RAM. The voltage specifications for the memory RAM will be 1.20V + 5% the maximum and 1.20V - 5% the minimum (page 139, datasheet volume 1) and this applies to the memory specifications that are officially supported by Intel (e.g.: DDR4 up to 2666MT/s). What we can recommend is anything between those values.

We don't have recommended settings as all computers are different and the other components specs should be taken into consideration when changing settings to make sure every part gets the power (in this case) needed; however, we only provide support for Intel products, and maybe the motherboard manufacturer can advise different settings based on the whole environment. Therefore, our recommendation is to contact MSI* Support and check with them these inquiries about voltage and other BIOS settings.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Michael_223112

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos