Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

i76900k upgrade with Q codes b2 and 96

SAtki1
Beginner

Hi

home build pc for about 12months with a Asus X99AII mobo with a i7 6800k CPU( never overclocked), gigabyte gtx1060 vga, everything working fine . decided to upgrade cpu with i7 6900k for the extra lanes more cores, placed new i76900k in and it did not post, by doing different things removing hd, RAM, bios flashback and reset cmos etc. , it finally boot up with the UEFI and for one day it performed perfectly with windows 10x64, the next day I could not POST I get b2 Q code if I press the delete key( with the odd time of underscore flashing but no response from keyboard input) and Q code 96 if i do nothing the VGA on-board LED lit up, it has the latest bios version, I have tried different things over and over again with no luck as soon I put back i76800k it posts with no problems and all working, is there something else I could try? could something be wrong with the i76900k CPU? I have contacted Asus tech and first reply was to update latest bios with 6800 then change to 6900 did not work( waiting on second response).I have received response from Asus and they said it "Might be a compatibility issue, you will have to check with Intel"( even though the CPU support page for X99A2 mobo says its supported) which is why I purchased it) I need to know because it is a very expensive CPU and if Intel says it is not supported I will be able to get a full refund from retailer or which I would prefer exchange/purchase

thanks

Message was edited by: Scott Atkin

Message was edited by: Scott Atkin

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello okok,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

According with the compatibility website this processor is compatible with this motherboard, you can see here:

http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards

The RAM that you have what speed is it running at? Do you have the RAM part number?

Turn off your system and remove all the RAMs on your system and add one at a time, access Windows with only one RAM, turn it off and then add another memory stick and start the system then do the same thing with the rest of the memory sticks you have.

If the troubleshooting steps above do not work check if the power supply you have installed provides enough energy when the new processor is installed or try with a power supply that can supply more power, if it is possible, if not that is understandable.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
SAtki1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thank you so much for your reply and indeed your help,

The RAM is Kingston HyperX fury 4X 2kits 128GB HX424C15FBK4/64 DDR4 2400

The power supply is a ANTEC (signature)SG-850watt(purchased new at time) it is the only hardware piece that has been carried over since previous build so I guess it is getting old now, it is running perfectly well with the i76800k(if this means anything) and I did check the voltages with a multimeter after initial problem with the i76900k and it appears fine. what do you think should I discard for a new one?

After Reading your recommendation

Procedure 1. NOT resetting CMOS

turned off computer removed all RAM except 1 stick( in recommended slot in motherboard user guide)removed 6800 put in 6900 turn on

do not touch keyboard goes to Q code 96 VGA led stays lit

restart press hold Delete goes to Q code b2

Procedure2. Cleared CMOS

turn on no not touch keyboard goes to Q code 96

restart press hold Delete goes to first time 91 then restarted goes to b2

...because it does not proceed to windows I did not proceed with turning off and adding more RAM

Procedure 3!!

Removed 6900 put in 6800

boots up goes to windows no problem !

thanks I hope there is more that can be looked in fixing the problem

Kind regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

850 watts power supply is fine for your system and if you check the voltages with a multimeter and it appears fine then you should be ok with the power supply.

Try updating the BIOS again to the latest version from ASUS, you can check here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-A-II/HelpDesk_CPU/ https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-A-II/HelpDesk_CPU/

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
SAtki1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thanks I do have all the versions of BIOS

Procedure:

Turned off computer

Removed CPU ,HD,s ,RAM, PCIe cards except VGA card

did BIOS flashback ver 1701

Install 6900 CPU

1 Stick RAM

first boot:

turn on ended up with b2 and underscore flashing on monitor no response from keyboard

subsequent booting same Q codes as before no underscore flashing

turn off computer reinstalled everything at once with 6800 processor

boots up straight away

Is there anything else I can do?

I am just grasping at straws here

Is there something I can change in the UEFI with the 6800 installed then reset/turn off and put in the 6900 to try ?

Is it possible for a new prossesor to be or turn faulty ?

could the power supply caused any problem with the extra use of the pcie slots (40 lane)? would it not boot even so?

(would be no point in purchasing new power supply unless I know the CPU is ok)the computer is working with the 6800 as I am writting this post with it

is there a place in Melbourne Australia or to send too for Intel to test the processor?

I have to assume there is a problem with the i76900K for what reason I do not know

do I have a case with warranty?

I do not know which way to go from here I do not want to leave this problem to much longer I purchased i76900k on the 11-08-2017

the cost of the cpu was $1299.00 aus. its the first time I have ever purchased such an expensive cpu and mulled over the idea in my mind for a couple of weeks prior to purchase but I thought was good because of the added advantage I would get for the software/hardware I use

I was going to purchase the 6850 just for the 40 lanes but when I read benchmarks between the 6800/6850 to the 6900 and thought it would be worth it.

I still want to use processor with 40lanes and the extra cores with 6900

I am disappointed and exhausted in trying to boot up

I have been building my personal desktops for almost 15 years without any issues

where do I go from here?

kind regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information okok and I'm sorry that the issue still persists, in this case, I suggest you to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @2 contact Intel support and request a replacement for the unit.

You can do an online service request o live chat.

You can refer this post when you talk to them.

You can also look for a phone number at your local support group here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
SAtki1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your time and help

I will contact Intel support

and let you know how it goes

thanks again

kind regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome and I will appreciate if you could let us know how it goes after the replacement.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
SAtki1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

I have been in contact with Intel support and spoken with Mark who gave me a case no. and asked for to either send to Intel or as suggested it may be easier to take to the retailer which I did on the 21-08-2017 they did not have one in stock and I am waiting for their reply which should be on the 23rd once I get a replacement I will definitely let you know how goes with the install/boot up

kind regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
SAtki1
Beginner

Hi Ivan

I picked up replacement unit today from retailer and just like to thank Intel, Mark from Intel support and you Ivan for your help.

Please bear with me and sorry I will have to delay the resolve for this issue since its has now clashed with a scheduled medical surgery for myself and will not be available for a least a few days and should be back at the end of next week so I can concentrate on the computer.

As discussed with you in the above posts this is a working computer not quite 12months old with no problems and except for the PSU all is new, and to take no chances so I have decided to change the PSU before I replace the processor and although any brand or wattage that can do the job is okay(which I could have purchased today)there is one Hi-end newly released one I have decided on, it had an ETA with the retailer firstly on the 20th then changed to today 25th and apparently according to retailer is at the distributor now and will be available on Tuesday 29th and since I will be unavailable at this time this has also delayed me changing the processor.

So hopefully I will post you at end next week with final and successful result

thanks again Ivan

kind regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome and I hope you can have better experience with your system once you receive the replacement. Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
SAtki1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Its been successful!

placed in new PSU with 6800, tested all good

removed 6800 put in 6900 replacement unit with 1 stick of RAM and O/S drive, booted up straight away reinserted all RAM and HD's booted up straight away, run for a while, been in and out of UEFI a few times all working and good.

Just like to thank you very much again to Intel support for your help and the replacement unit.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome and I'm glad that this issue has been resolved and I hope you can have better experience with this unit from now on.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos