Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14531 Discussions

i9 10900 only showing 6 cores?

David1222
Beginner

Hello, is there anyone who can help me? I have just installed an i9 10900 cpu on a Asus TUF Gaming B460 Plus motherboard and it is showing as only having six cores under System Information and on the Task Manager. When I enter the BIOS the cpu does show as having 10 cores. I have reset the BIOS to default but this didn't solve the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you verified that Windows is actually configured to use all cores? Run the MSCONFIG tool. Select the Boot tab and then click on Advanced Options. Check the Number of Processors box and then set to the maximum. 

Now, if the maximum offered in the MSCONFIG tool is not what it should be (i.e. it only shows 12 and not the 20 processors (really threads) available in your 10-core HT processor), then the motherboard's BIOS may not be properly configured to enable all cores and threads. Just because is displays that there are 10 cores does not prove that the BIOS is actually enabling all of them. Alternatively, you could have a bug in this BIOS (are you running on the latest available?) or it doesn't have proper support for this processor.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos