Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i9-10900x RAM speeds stability and Voltage limits

Polymathy1
Beginner

Based on the i9-10900x spec sheet (document 335899-005 attached), I am seeing some voltage limits that don't seem to be followed by motherboard manufacturers or RAM manufacturers. 

I have a RAM kit rated at 4000MHz 19-19-19-39 at 1.35V, but found that the RAM was unstable at those speeds and voltages in Quad channel configuration (4 x 8GB). I upgraded from an i5-7640X, which *was* stable with that RAM in dual channel mode at 1.35V.  The manufacturer (Patriot) suggested moving the voltage up to 1.45V incrementally, but I looked at the processor datasheet, and the suggestion seems to be exceeding maximum voltages for the processor. I am not sure I'm reading it right. 

The table on page 47 of the spec sheet lists a range for VCCD of -0.3 to 1.35V relative to Vss (Ground). and the same voltage limits for VCCIO and VCCSA. 

Going off the spec sheet, I should never run the RAM over 1.35V and should limit the VCCIO to a max of 1.057V. 
This particular motherboard (ASUS x299 TUF Mk2) has qualified RAM kits listed at 1.4-1.45V to reach the 4000MHz+ speeds. Since this motherboard only fits x299 processors, should I steer clear of these RAM voltages over 1.35V, or is there more going on between the spec sheet and the voltages I can set in the BIOS?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello Polymathy1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I will work on this request, as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Polymathy1,

After researching this, please be aware that the correct maximum voltage supported by this processor is 1.26V (please see below image). Also, please be aware that we have no control on what the motherboard or RAM supports/advises, as we did not design them, therefore, we can only recommend not to exceed the 1.26V, since that could damage the processor.

Let me know if you have any concern.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Polymathy1
Beginner

Hi, Steven. Thanks for digging into this for me.

I don't see an image attached to your reply. Maybe the image would tell me the answer, but what voltage has the 1.26V limit? Page 48 has a table 5.5 measuring voltage at the processor pads of 1.17-1.26V. Page 47 lists a different rating that I don't understand. Note 11 says "VCCD012, VCCD345 voltage specification requirements are measured across vias on the platform". What is the "platform" referring to here?

Polymathy1_1-1653687618575.png

Polymathy1_0-1653687511453.png

This page https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html says that using XMP "may void" the warranty. "Altering the frequency and/or voltage outside of Intel specifications may void the processor warranty. Examples: Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty."

Can you clarify this for my specific processor please?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

My apologies, it seems the image was not loaded, it is now attached to this post.

I will inquire about the exact meaning of "platform" in this case, and I will let you know once I have the information.

To clarify, enabling an XMP profile over the processor memory specifications (DDR4-2933, 1.26V) does void the processor warranty, since it changes the frequencies and possibly the voltages, which are internal to the processor.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Polymathy1,

The information in the indicated text, in simple words, means it is going to depend on motherboard specifications, as long it doesn't exceed the minimum or maximum voltage recommendation it is going to be regulated by the motherboard platform specifications.

Please let me know if you have any concerns.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos