Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i9-10980xe not posting

Aaron_91
Novice

Looking for a little guidance on solving a problem I've been having the past few days. Recently got an i9-10980xe to replace an i7-7820x. Originally got the i7 just to have an x299 motherboard with the intention of upgrading to a 980 or 940 down the line. Finally have the upgraded CPU but cannot get it to POST. Here's a list of the components:

Asus ROG Strix x299-e (BIOS updated to 3301)

128GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3200mhz RAM

MSI Aero 1080Ti GPU

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 power supply

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB system drive

Multiple other drives in different configurations...

Long story short, the 7820x works, but when the 10980xe is installed, the screen is black, red CPU light is lit, and the code on the board is "00." I've tried multiple different configurations in BIOS, but nothing seems to make any difference when the 10980xe is installed. There is no shortage of power (at least 20% overhead), BIOS has been update past the stated "2002" for the 10980xe to work, and I'm at a loss for what else to try to get it to work. 

Any suggestions? Any sort of help to get this up and running will be appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Aaron_91
Novice

Running Windows 10, version 10.0.19041

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If it's a POST-level issue, what O/S you have installed doesn't matter. Are you absolutely sure that the BIOS has support for this particular processor? Have you verified this with Asus? It's their BIOS, so you need to resolve it with them. The other option is to take the processor to a repair shop and have them test it in one of their boards.

....S

Aaron_91
Novice

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the response. I'll check in with ASUS to be sure. From what I gathered searching through both the Intel information and the ASUS info, the board and the chip should be compatible, as long as the BIOS is updated past ASUS's 2002 version. I will reach out to them again though to see if maybe there's something that isn't published online that could be holding the process up.

Again, thank you for the response. Every little bit helps. I'll update as I find out more.

Aaron

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Good luck. Dell support is not what it used to be (no surprise; over the last few years, they've laid off or chased away all the good technical people that used to work there).

...S

Aaron_91
Novice

After many different conversations with folks online, ASUS support, and many component changes to narrow down the problem, it appears the chip is bad. It was purchased through B&H and they seem to be helpful enough in returning it, so the worst thing that was lost was +/-2 days of work while messing around with it and trying to troubleshoot. Still annoying, but what can you do. Thanks again for the suggestions and help, Scott.

All the best,

Aaron

0 Kudos