Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i9-11900K Z590 where are the 3200MHz 128GB 4x32 ram sticks for it?

cemm
New Contributor I

I chose the ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO for my motherboard. It supports128GB Ram! Yet there are no 128GB 3200MHz Ram sets in the QVL list...

There is only one 3200GHz 4x32 128GB Ram set in the Asus QVL list and that is G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-128GTZN

However on the G.Skill QVL list for this particular Asus card, that particular Ram set doesn't come up!?

Corsair QVL list doesn't have anything for Asus card in 3200GHz 4x32 128GB configuration either... What's going on?

I have a chip that provides 3200MHz the card is advertising 128GB ram @3200MHz in 4x configuration, but I have to get 2666MHz?

I am baffled... Please help!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Intel does not make the memory.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @cemm

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Processor supports memory type DDR4-3200 and the Max Memory Size is 128 GB.

Memory manufacturers usually name their products using the rated/tested speed. There is another reference value used when it comes to Memory, which is the SPD (serial presence detect) speed. SPD is a standardized way to automatically access information about a memory module, and SPD speed is usually lower than the rated/tested speed. The BIOS reads the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. Due to SPD, memory RAM may work at different speeds.

Checking the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for ASUS* Rog Maximus XIII Hero, page 17, we noticed a couple of additional references to RAM kits of 4x32GB 3200MHz (for instance: Team* TPD4128G3200HC22QC01 and Team* TPRD4128G3200HC22QC01).

Generally speaking, a QVL is a list provided by the original computer manufacturer (OEM) of all the tested and supported components that are guaranteed to work on a certain device. It is an official list of components that have been tested by the manufacturer. Also, a QVL might not be a comprehensive list due to reasons such as OEMs might not be able to test all components/parts available in the market and/or new products are launched every day and it may take time for OEMs to update their QVLs.

Since the QVL information concerning this inquiry is published and validated by ASUS* (and the other QVL is published by G.SKILL*), our recommendation is to check further with their support team so you may address additional inquiries regarding compatibility between the motherboard and specific RAM kits. For your convenience, here is the link to ASUS* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

cemm
New Contributor I

Thank you for a real answer... (!)

Fortunately, after my complaint (not because of), Asus added some Corsair sets to their QVL  I was relieved as I was not going to settle with the Team...

And the Corsair approved two of those sets (by mail) So I am set now...

Thank you for your detailed information, after the first response it was like sunshine...

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello cemm

Thank you very much for your response. We are glad to know that you have received new/updated information regarding memory compatibility from both manufacturers (Asus' QVL and email information by Corsair*). Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback.

For any other inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

cemm
New Contributor I

Cheers Andrew,

I wonder if I may expand my question... 

Would a Noctua NH-D14 be (bearly) sufficient enough to cool down the i9-11900K?

Or do I have to get a water cooling system such as MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R...

I say it again No O.C. will be performed...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are going to spend a fortune on memory and then cheap out on the thermal solution? My response: do it right.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello cemm

Thank you for your response.

Just to set the right expectations, we would like to mention that we don't comment/recommend about third-party devices or manufacturers.

However, we can highlight some details that you may take into consideration for further decision.

The Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Processor has a TDP (Thermal Design Power ) of 125 W. Please note that TDP represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency, so the general recommendation is to use a Cooler Solution that is able to dissipate more heat than the one described as per the TDP. This is also important for peak loads, for instance, due to Intel® Turbo Boost Technology that puts higher demands on the cooling solution.

Adequate chassis internal airflow, no obstruction of system airflow/air vents, proper installation of the cooler, and making sure to apply the right amount of thermal interface material (TIM) on the processor are also critical steps for good thermal operation.

Regarding the cooler Noctua* NH-D14, based on their website and their compatibility list, we noticed it is compatible with the processor. Based on their own specifications, they rank this cooler as suitable for "best turbo/overclocking headroom" for Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Processor. However, it is also worth mentioning that the cooler is already marked as a "Discontinued Cooler" as per their own documentation.

Please note that this is a third-party website that we provide for your convenience only. We do not endorse any of the contents within this site.

When checking their website, we noticed several references/links that encourage users to contact their support team to get more assistance, information, and clarification regarding the compatibility of their coolers with processors. Should you have additional doubts, you may double-check with them so you can have more information for your decision.

We would say that it is also useful to check on additional forums and get recommendations from other peers or users that can share their experience either with the Noctua* NH-D14, the MSI* MAG CoreLiquid 360R, or with other ones. Our recommendation is to check from different sources and collect the necessary feedback so you can make the best decision based on your needs.

If you have additional inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

cemm
New Contributor I

Thank you Andrew for taking time for such a lengthy response. Of course, I understand your position about not promoting any third party. 

I am afraid I might have cornered myself with my choice of CPU... Being the "hottest" CPU in the market, 11900K didn't scare me at first
since I won't be doing any OC, I thought with a decent closed-loop system, I would be able to handle the heat.
Then I stumbled upon the fact that all closed-loop systems one day will leek! 

My case has an attic and that's the only proper place to park the radiator. That means when that leek happens,
it will be showering on my Mobo and everything on it from the clouds...

That scary wakening turned me into air-cooling. I considered Noctua D14 not because I was being stingy as my friend n-scott-pearson suggested but besides the convenience of owning an unused one, also it is still the highest praised air cooler system of all time.
A recent Tom's Hardware comparison they recently did with five of new 280mm closed-loop systems against 'D14' was also a motivating factor. Spoiler alert: 'NH-D14' was the winner... The only downside was that it was heavy. It poses harm on the motherboard. I believe, Asus XIII Hero can handle it though. But I am considering some kind of wire support attached to the bottom plate of my attic. Mobo, therefore the giant cooler block being horizontal this might be beneficial for the long run.

Also, I might consider NH-D15 as well... If it is much safer. The noise factor has "0" importance for me. My case is in another room. 

I suppose This would be the summed-up question for this entire post;  Noctua D14 vs D15... Would have a strong reason to chose D15?

Since I am asking a specific question about a specific CPU regarding its heat management, I figured this was a safe answer for you without being suggestive about this brand or that brand... 

Every forum I've written and I wrote to all of them, was against the 11900k! And almost every review was condemning the CPU too...
And most of the forum residents suggested 10900k instead. Or 10700k...

Although it appeals in so many ways, core counts and what not, I sticked with 11900k. My work didn't care for multithread performance but single-thread performance was important to me. And Z590 was more appealing... So I made my bed with 11th gen...
I hope I am not terribly wrong with my choice... The remaining life will tell...

cheers

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello cemm

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your inquiry, even for products from the same manufacturer, we don't comment or take specific "positions" for "this" or "that" model and we believe this is a personal/individual decision that customers should take based on their specific needs, as well taking into consideration the "case-by-case facts" (e.g.: size, appearance, support and warranty options, budget, compatibility, performance, and many others).

What we can do is to point out some features or facts available from the manufacturer's website. Both coolers are compatible with the Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Processor and both are rated as "best turbo/overclocking headroom" for this CPU. We noticed the NH-D15 seems to be a newer model, and it is an "active model" while the NH-D14 is a "Discontinued model". What exactly a "Discontinued model" means here, is something that you would need to double-check with Noctua* team.

They both come with a "6 Years" warranty period and there are little differences in size and "Rotational speed" (RPM). They also offer an NSPR rank number, that stands for "Noctua’s Standardised Performance Rating". The NSPR is "a general performance rating for each cooler to help customers making an informed buying decision and it is offered by Noctua* for customers to measure, assess and compare the performance of CPU coolers and to allow users to determine how much turbo or overclocking headroom they can expect with a particular model on a specific CPU". For the NH-D15*, NSPR is 183, and for the NH-D14* it is 161. As per Noctua*, the higher the NSPR score*, the better the heatsink’s performance.

Note: All the previous information is from the Noctua* websites and it is offered for your convenience only. We do not endorse any of the contents within this site.

We wish we could provide a more specific recommendation, but since we don't have a compatibility list for coolers, we believe the best thing to do is to check directly with the Noctua Support team in order to receive very detailed information about both models and what would be the official manufacturer's recommendation. Thank you for your understanding.

We hope you enjoy and take full advantage of the Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Processor and all its features and capabilities.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

cemm
New Contributor I

I hear you, thank you for the straight info.

I did talk with Noctua, and they are a great company I mean no words, crazy good... They sent me a Mounting kit for D14 even though it was bought many years ago free of charge with UPS overseas also free of charge from Australia... (I believe)

I asked them if I should settle down with D14 or get the D15 or something else...

This is what they wrote me: 

"The NH-D14 is perfectly compatible with a 11900K CPU, and we, therefore, don't see a cooler update as necessary.

(Especially without manual overclocking.)"

I mean how cool is that?.... What a graceful company... Also how convenient for me...

Of course, with you, I was checking, digging the other side of the coin. The CPU side of it... I mean you made the CPU... The heat thing! The Owen Syndrom... Which kind of went, unacknowledged, which is understandable... As long as you didn't hate it... I am happy...

Thank you so much for all the assistance you provided, it helped a lot, cheers...

cem

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello cemm

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback that you received from Noctua* support. We are glad to know that they provided you with specific information regarding your inquiries. Hopefully, this may help other community users having similar concerns.

Sure, it has been a pleasure to assist you with these topics. Should you have additional concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us back. Otherwise, feel free to let us know if we can consider this thread solved.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello cemm

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
cemm
New Contributor I

Huh! I didn'T realize this was that kind of platform. I was under the impression that this was more like a forum... My bad...

I finished my post with this line; "Thank you so much for all the assistance you provided, it helped a lot, cheers..." to wrap things up... 

0 Kudos
cemm
New Contributor I

Yes! you certainly can, should consider this thread solved... Thank you...

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello cemm

Thank you for your response. No problem, we just wanted to make sure no additional inquiries were pending. We will proceed to close this inquiry now. Thank you for your time and best regards.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos