Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i9 11900k running at 5100MHz at idle

chaysetyler18
Beginner

I just built my first gaming pc(also the first pc I have owned) and I am dealing with an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. I built it 2 nights ago and installed windows 10 on it. Even at the bios setting it showed that the cpu was running at nearly max speeds at essentially idle. I ran the diagnostics test for it as instructed by the intel representative but they are closed now for help. I had a couple friends who have PC building experience help build it so I know its all put together correctly. It is also on stock settings, I have not made ANY adjustments whatsoever to my bios settings or standard settings. I did make sure that the windows was running at balanced and not performance. Here are my PC parts that I used:

Motherboard- Gigabyte z590 Aorus pro ax

CPU- i9 11900k

2x32gb team t-force vulcan ram

1tb samsung 970 evo ssd

NZXT Kraken x73 liquid cooler

Gigabyte Aorus rtx 3070 ti gpu

NZXT h710i case

XPG core reactor 850w PSU

64 bit windows 10 operating system

As I am typing this my cpu clock speeds are at 5200MHz without any additional windows opened other than my browser typing this. My cpu usage is only at 3% as well under task manager. My load is at 2%, my temp is at 29c and fan speeds are 1854 rpm. Someone please help me fix this. It costs too much to just pray it will last a while at these clock speeds. Linked to this post is my test results for my processor. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You want to ensure that you select Balanced Performance in the BIOS as well as in the O/S.

You haven't provided any temperature data. How are the core temperatures?

...S

0 Kudos
chaysetyler18
Beginner

I have to go look at the BIOS settings and see what its set on. My temps are around 30 degrees Celsius at idle but my clock speeds are still currently at 5200MHz. As far as I am aware my temperature is within normal for idle levels, I currently only have my browser tab open to type this and not anything else. Please let me know if you need any other info to possibly help me fix this issue I am having. I will go look at my BIOS settings and if I find something that might help I will update you on this post.

0 Kudos
chaysetyler18
Beginner
I looked everywhere in my BIOS settings and couldn’t find a balanced option anywhere. I’m new to all this PC stuff so I could have missed it but I looked for almost an hour. Any ideas what it could be that’s causing this?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you can't find it, then it is time to call Gigabyte for help. We don't have a Gigabyte boards to look at.

...S

0 Kudos